The Americans, the Russians, why not Us?

Ultralights

the USA can get airspace usage right, and create a massive thriving industry, and the Russian now will have the same, why is it so hard in OZ? with the best flying weather and flight friendly terrain on the planet. :confused:

http://www.examiner.com/airlines-airport-in-national/russian-private-pilots-get-new-freedom

Starting on November 1, the skies above Russia will be divided into 3 classes: A, C and G. Altitude for flights is set for each one of these classes. Altitude below 9,842 feet, or 3,000 metres, is reserved for light aircraft, and assigned to Class G air space.

"Aircraft operating under Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) will not operate in Class G airspace, except to airports where there is an instrument approach. Visual Flight Rules (VFR) aircraft can operate in Class G airspace."

"With Russia's vast distances, a population of 147 million spread over 11 time zones, general aviation is a logical successor and supplement to road and rail travel. General aviation aircraft offer cost-effective solutions to the transport problems of remote Siberian cities and towns. Smaller, general aviation aircraft offer users economies of time and place.

While the number of licensed private pilots is currently low, it is expected to grow dramatically in coming years, as the Russian middle class expands and becomes more affluent.

The situation in Russia is currently very different, and has no where to go but up. In fact, the sky's the limit. Mr. Polishuk gives several reasons why

I can see the similarities, and needs, yet with differing policy, i can see nothing but cost and doom for Oz, yet the future seams very bright for Russian GA....

Australian Space facility.

We do have a fair amount of remote area. It is considered a good idea to have the site close to the equator as the earth there is moving east at 1,000 mph already which reduces the energy needed to put an object into earth orbit.

For the moment I wish we would be more sure of operating the "lower end", (Ie Ultralights) without saddling it with things like ADS-B out.Nev

Yes, even Russia has seen the benifits of having a airspace system that allows GA to operate with a minimum of fuss and constraint. Shame the egoistical, meglomaniac control freaks we have here controlling our airspace can't see past their careers. Maybe we should not only adopt Russia's airspace rules but also get a few tips on how to handle CASA. Off to the salt mines!

...i doubt anything is bright in Russia.....i'd be surprised if they had GA/ultralights at all......

I saw an Ultralight at Korralbyne back in the early 90's it was a highwing pusher being ferried down to Scone. It was owned( but not flown) by Kerrie Packer. It was a Russian two seat tandem, tail boom with solid wing and built like the proverbial brick outhouse. It looked like the designer went to the Mig spare parts warehouse and filled his trolley up with bits and pieces to build it. No cables all push rod for the controls. Most of it was held together with huck rivets. Can't remember what powered it tho.

We may not hear much of what is going on in Russia but i'd say that they are making up for lost time. Skydiving is pretty popular there and jump tickets are cheaper than here and no shortage of big lifters either.

Ozzie

Russian Aviation.

A lot of brilliance has been evidenced in Russian aviation over the years. We don't see it all out here but it can be researched. They had an all Female squadron , including maintenance etc, against the Germans. Were bombing with Bi-planes. (Second war). The Germans called them "witches".. They were holding an annual re-union of those involved. May be some still left.( Bless their cotton socks).. Nev

Once the National Airspace System comes in in its entirety we should be OK, it's based on the US system.

Having A, C and G is not the way to go though, that is like the pre-1991 airspace here of controlled and uncontrolled. If you read that Russian one it says IFR cannot be in G, that sounds like an awful lot of Class C must be around in that case. Without an airspace diagram it is hard to tell - maybe they have Class C corridors along airways (The US has Class E corridors, with no transponder requirement for VFR).

There is GA in Russia by the way.

The Night Witches flew alot of the Polikarpov PO2 bi-planes. All wood with a 5 cylinder radial up front. They flew so low and slow the enemy couldnt tail them, had to fly past or stall! I am planning to build one after finishing the Pietenpol. Anyone have a Kinner 5 cylinder laying around in their workshop? keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif...Scotty

[ATTACH]12418.vB[/ATTACH]

0859337.thumb.jpg.72467ad6b1ab2e5f6ba2b0c581389c28.jpg