'Heads-up' for Cairns and Far North Queensland Flyers...........

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

My good friend Peter Hearnshaw who has operated Tiger Moth aerobatic rides from the Whitsunday Shute Harbor Airport for the past five years, has decided to relocate to Cairns Airport.

Pete is a really supurb pilot, and one of only three Tiger pilots in Australia with a low level Tiger aerobatic endorsement.

His machines are kept in the best of condition and appearance also.

If you've ever thought that you might want to find out what those Tiger moths are really about, you would not be dissapointed with Petes ride which starts at about three Thousand feet AGL.

I can personally guarantee that you will not be dissapointed with either Petes piloting style, or what the Tiger can actually do !!.

Go and say hi to Pete on a nice day in Cairns...........................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hey Maj, Thanks,I`m pleased to know that, hopefully I`ll be able to watch him go over.

A few years ago there was a Tiger Moth in Cairns that would regularly do the circuit down along the coast, then come inland at Russell Heads, over home, give a little wing shake or do a couple off loops then head up the valley back to Cairns,I`ll be happy to see that again.

Has Pete had a go at the Drifter.........Hhhmmmmmmm.......Pete in Drifter...Frank in Tiger Moth.......Hhhmmmmmmmmm.

Frank.

Guest Maj Millard

Yes you wish Frank !!...Actually I wouldn't mind seeing Pete in a Drifter...I'm sure he wouldn't mind either, and he may already have Drifter time who knows. I have Petes' Mob listed as 0412530064. Maddog, I highly recommend a ride with Pete, it's something you won't forget any time soon.

Frank I have already pointed out your location to Pete on the Cairns VTC so he may well come by and check you out. Next week he will be waiting for the right weather window to ferry one of his Moths to Cairns (he has two) but the way it is right now I don't know when that will be !!...........................................................................maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest DonningtonSmythe

I went for a ride in Rowan Kimber's Tiger in Townsville, back in February - scenic circuit of Magnetic Island and aeros over the Strand. It was quite a buzz! The Tiger is still here (up for sale) but Rowan has headed off (to Uni down south AFAIK). Always good to know of other Tigers in the region. I met with the President of the Mackay Tiger Moth Museum on a recent trip and viewed their machine - looking immaculate! It would be good to see a gathering of Tigers at the Ingham Wings and Wheels Airshow next year ... :-)

[ATTACH]12487.vB[/ATTACH]

2135835884_EventCoordinator.JPG.340a803130e55f3dd33f3db064867279.JPG

Guest Maj Millard

Pete left Shute Harbor early today in the yellow Moth for Cairns, so keep an eye on the sky up there in the North...............................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Ross,Havn`t heard or seen it yet, I`ll be on the allert but looking up to the sky will get an eye full of water,not much break between the squalls the last couple of days,very heavy low cloud and lots of rain.

Frank.

Guest Maj Millard

Yes Frank, pretty much the same down here at the moment. He might be hunkered down at the cairns Aero Club !!......................................................................Ross

Saw a white float plane of some sort up here the other day, with a definate" i really wish this cloud would p*ss off" apperance :) flying all over the place then flew back the way he came, the cloud base was only about 200', i was waiting for it to lift so i could do circuits with a student.

Guest Maj Millard

Hi bones, Don't think it was one of ours from Shute harbour, we have had the Beaver in for a 100hrly, and the others have been grounded most of the week due heavy rain.

Could have been VH-OPH the caravan from Nautilus Aviation in Townsville.................Cheers Maj

Back in the mid 1980's when I was regulary flying gliders out at Kingaroy two guys started a flying school with a IS-28 it was Dave Smart and John Fairbairn. I did a weeks course out there then and learnt so much in that week it was worth every penny and really kick started my gliding abilities. Dave Smart had his own tiger moth it was silver in colour and was modified for aerobatics because when you went inverted the engine would stop because the fuel was gravity fed (iwas told this)..anyway Dave had a tank made so when it was inverted the engine would keep going :). I went for a aerobatic ride with him that weekend armed with a super 8 film camera. I still have the footage somewhere it was a blast I will never forget it...especially holding the camera with both hands and hanging upside down in the 5 point harness filming the 8 point rolls and all the other aeros from the front seat....RIP Dave Smart he was killed in a traffic accident about 3 years later he was a really nice guy such a pity...only the good die young they say

Mark

• 4 months later...
Guest DonningtonSmythe

I've been alerted to the fact that this year marks the 80th anniversary of the first Tiger Moth flight - 26th October 1931. That anniversary is pretty close to the airshow dates so I reckon it's worth celebrating! There used to be 3 Tigers resident around Ingham many years ago - it would be great to recreate that scene but also to have a substantial formation of Tigers honouring that first flight. Do you know any Tiger owners who could be persuaded to come along? I have already contacted Rowan Kimber (Townsville), Bob Thomson (Tully), Mackay Tiger Museum and Kim Ryan (Cairns) - any others lurking in the long grass around NQ? ;-)