Jab altimeter

Are you encouraging us to buy the cheaper types ?

No, but considering that thses threads are often replied to by pedants, I thought it best to indicate that insensitive altimeters were avaiable for purchase (see Spruce & Specialty) before one of these pedants dragged the thread off onto a side track.

Without digging into FAR 43 Apendix F, I thought that a simple explanation of why one type of altimeter could be more practical than the other would satify Long Tall Texan's query. Try as I might, I can't see any words of encouragement for people to buy insensitive altimeters.

Old Man Emu

No, but considering that thses threads are often replied to by pedants, I thought it best to indicate that insensitive altimeters were avaiable for purchase (see Spruce & Specialty) before one of these pedants dragged the thread off onto a side track.Without digging into FAR 43 Apendix F, I thought that a simple explanation of why one type of altimeter could be more practical than the other would satify Long Tall Texan's query. Try as I might, I can't see any words of encouragement for people to buy insensitive altimeters.

Old Man Emu

Great, we're flogging the same horse then 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

LTT,

If you are in the market for an altimeter, I suggest that you steer clear of the Chinese made ones. There are no Service or Parts manuals for them, so if they need work done on them, you are "seasoned with sage and onions". Also, an instrument maker cannot certify them "correct". They can only be declared "functional"

I don't sell sensitive altimeters from my shop, but the second hand price from instrument makers, parts suppliers and aviation salvage mobs is about $500. Usually this includes certification.

OME