Premium Unleaded Fuel

Guest Stixy

I have a Rotax 582 in my X-Air, and am currently running Unleaded fuel.

Would there be any advantages in paying extra and using Premium in this Aircraft?

Hi Stixy,I`ve worn out four 582 over the years, I tried Premium and found so little difference that I didn`t think it was worth it,I continue to use Unleaded.

Cheers,

Frank.

Skyfox1

Hi Stixy l use premium in my skyfox 912 and all so in my drifter 503 and seem to get better fuel economy you get a better burn from higher octain use less fuel so it dosnt real cost any extra in the end.

Hi SkyFox1, I`m currently running a 503 on Unleaded and burning 14/15 lts phr,depending on how I use it.

You say you are getting better economy on Premium.How may Lts Phr are you using in your 503?

Cheers,

Frank.

Hi Frank l get an average 12to14 Lhr depends on conditions or one up or two and not thrashing engine cruise about 4600 revs. My 503 has just been rebuilt with 0.20 over size piston & rings new crank and new carbs this engine had done 900 hrs.

cheers Geoff.

Geof, 900 hrs,that`s amazing,the best I ever got was 680 hrs from an oil injected 582 grey head,that I was using for flight training.

I`m not training anymore and have gone back to the 503, I`ve done 170 hrs in the last 28 months with it and it couldn`t go better.

I forgot to mention earlier that I`ve always used the standard carby jet and needle size that come with the motor.

When looking at fuel consumption,the needle and jet size is a determining factor.

Frank.

Guest davidh10

As per another thread, The NSW and Qld state governments have legislated to force Ethanol into 91 RON Unleaded, so when that happens, there will be no choice in those states but to buy PULP to avoid the Ethanol.

As per another thread, The NSW and Qld state governments have legislated to force Ethanol into 91 RON Unleaded, so when that happens, there will be no choice in those states but to buy PULP to avoid the Ethanol.

Any idea where I might find the ethanol situation in WA?

Cheers,

Pud

Guest davidh10
Any idea where I might find the ethanol situation in WA?Cheers,

Pud

In NSW the 10% Ethanol in ULP mandate has been deferred from July 2011 to July 2012 due to shortage of supply of Ethanol.

In QLD it was supposed to come into force in Dec/2010 but it looks like it has been put on hold till December/2011. Queensland's proposal is for 5% Ethanol in ULP and I've found one report that legislation has been drafted.

Looks like WA will have a trial, but rejected the mandate, at least for now. If WA has an "office of biofuels" that would be the place to ask.

Victoria originally rejected the idea when it was introduced by NSW, but recently seems to have wavered and it was looking like the Brumby government was going to introduce legislation, but since the change of government the outlook is now unknown.

The problem with Googling is that if you don't find anything, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's better to find something that says conclusively that something is or isn't happening.

I had a bunch of other links to post, but the "biofuels task force PDF" crashed my browser and I now don't have time to re-search for them 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif Hopefully the ones here will be sufficient.

Hope this helps.

How do you know ozzie?Pud

i use Shell as i have their fuel card.

pumps marked as follows yellow E10, blue 95 no ethanol, red 98 no ethanol.

pumps labled to use use 95 not E10 in marine craft and garden equipment no mention of ultralights as per caltex. not sur of other major suppliers in NSW as i don't frequent them. I notice that E10 is now around 10cpl cheaper than 95. used to be 3 cents

i use Shell as i have their fuel card. pumps marked as follows yellow E10, blue 95 no ethanol, red 98 no ethanol.

pumps labled to use use 95 not E10 in marine craft and garden equipment no mention of ultralights as per caltex. not sur of other major suppliers in NSW as i don't frequent them. I notice that E10 is now around 10cpl cheaper than 95. used to be 3 cents

Thanks ozzie,

I checked out the links davidh10 posted so, with that information and no markings on pumps mentioning 'E10' or ethanol, I'll take it there is no ethanol blends in WA fuel at the moment. Can't see it lasting though.

Pud

pump labelling

Shell pumps in NSW now labelled like this.

I have also noticed that in some country shell servos, and most of the independants, still have straight unleaded and E10. but they are all slowly eliminating 92 straight unleaded.

DSC03096.JPG.07210ab9ad5df7751f343de8c0e245f7.JPG

DSC03097.JPG.449e29eed3112c27af69b83b2e1d5e34.JPG