Do student pilots need insurance cover?

fun

I've just started recreational flight training and I'm wondering if I need any insurance in addition to the basic RA-Aus third party insurance? For example, if I had an accident while training would I have to pay tens of thousands for the training aircraft to be repaired or replaced?

I doubt it mate. The aircraft is owned and insured by the school. The insurance company would be well aware of the use of the aircraft and the premiums would reflect the use. It's a bit like learning to drive in a driving schools car - you wouldn't expect to pay your own insurance there either.

I doubt it mate. The aircraft is owned and insured by the school.

This is a very general statement, unless you're aware of the school that OP is referring to. There are a number of schools that DO NOT insure aircraft, and unless you've signed an agreement that says otherwise, damage to the aircraft when solo may well be your responsibility to repair.

Also, just because an aircraft is insured, do not assume that you are responsible only for the excess: I've heard stories where the aircraft owner demanded significantly more than the excess to be paid, in order to cover loss of future no-claim bonus etc.

Back to the OP's question: ask your school what the insurance specifics are for each aircraft used in training. If the excess is very high, or the aircraft is not insured, there are insurance products you can take out yourself to provide the cover. QBE definitely offer this, and I suspect Allianz probably does as well.

Where I train, if an aircraft is damaged during training (dual or solo) then the school will take responsibility for all expenses, included excess. But if the a/c is damaged during private hire, then the hirer will be responsible for excess.

Well that's something to think about. I assumed there (and we all know how that can work out!) that schools would definately insure their aircraft. I'll be checking my schools insurance arrangements before I fly again!

Well that's something to think about. I assumed there (and we all know how that can work out!) that schools would definitely insure their aircraft. I'll be checking my schools insurance arrangements before I fly again!

Let me know what you find out because I don't know either. Maybe James could put a reminder on the school site update page.