Taildragger to trike?

I think you have been given incorrect advice, depending on what taildraggers you have been flying. Normally going from tailwheel to nosewheel is dead easy and it is harder to go from nose wheel to tail wheel. I found it is easy to de-tune your feet for the ground handling. Nose wheel planes are so easy with ground handling you may well find them boring as they tend to land themselves.

Regards Richard.

Wow, I wasn't expecting such quality advice coupled to such rapid responses. I am very grateful for your advice, it has certainly put my mind at ease. apologies for the trike reference, I forgot about the weight shift catergory...

I learnt to fly 3 axis ultralights in a 1926 aeronca, affectionately referred to as "rag and stick" by my better vintage aviator accomplices.

I also had the privelidge of some time in a 582 wire braced drifter, which didn't seem to have the blessing of the aeronca glide ratio.

The taildraggers seemed to require the bulldozer driving approach of steering, where one would use the foot moving forward as a brake pedal.

They inform me that the tricycle steer requires a "go-cart" type input for desired result.

It was with this information that a pilot (of who no-one i've met has been fond of or seeks his company) adamantly stated that it was almost dangerous for me to try and attempt to fly tricycle equipped aircraft.

I shall now treat his advice with the speculation that it deserves, and march on....

Thank you kindly,

Darryl Roper

Most taildraggers have lots of rudder that are meant to be used for their design purpose rather than as footstops. Taildragger pilots tend to balance their aeroplanes better in turns because they are more attuned to every movement of that little black ball. Taildraggers are inherently unstable in the landing roll.

Many tricycles have less rudder and the need for them on touchdown is also less because of their inherent stability in the rollout. Therefore the conversion from taildragger to tricycle is an easier one than the other way.

I would have said the biggest and most common mistake in tricycles is landing nosewheel first (wheelbarrowing) and again, as a taildragger trained pilot, you will be more likely to hold the nose off until the aeroplane truly stops flying.

kaz