Brisbane area info needed, please...

We'll be back in Manly (on the Bay & due east of Bris) beginning next month, and I'd like to begin exploring some of the airports in the area where recreational flying is going on...and ideally, where there may also be some experimental (aka: homebuilt) aircraft building occurring. But our initial intro to Moreton Bay has only related to boating, so I'd welcome some pointers on which airfields might be in the area that I could visit. Guess I should add another wrinkle, which is that I'll be relying on my Translink 'Go' card for transport to & fro', though I don't mind a bit of a walk as well. Hopefully, that doesn't cut out all the airfield options! If someone could coach me a bit on some Brisbane-area options, I'll google myself there and take a look.

One additional thought, since I'm a roll here: Are there any EAA (or 'EAA-like') clubs in the area that hold monthly meetings? This is a very common thing through-out the USA and a great way to connect with home builders, interesting aviation projects, and simply good people. If you could coach me on what similar organizations might exist, or exist within 'greater Bris', that would be another avenue I could research, as well.

Many thanks, everyone. And we (Patricia & I) both wish all of you in QLD some drier weather over the coming months. You've really had more than your share, and hopefully have all survived it intact.

Jack

Hi Jack and Patricia

Unfortunately we don't have the number of airports that you have in the USA and transport will be a challenge, but here are a few suggestions. Heck Field (Jacobs Well), Caboolture and Boonah would be good places to visit.

You can get a train to Caboolture and from there it is a short trip to the airport. It is a fair walk, you could go by taxi for about $12 though, or get a bus towards Bribie Island and get off at the Sundowner Hotel on Airport Drive, then walk down the road. The train trip from Manly is at least 1.5 hours each way, maybe more. Plus the taxi/bus. It takes about an hour to drive there from Manly.

I can't think of any public transport to Heck Field (Jacobs Well) which is down towards the Gold Coast, you could drive there from Manly in about an hour or so.

Boonah is a fair way out and that would be by car only.

You might need to bite the bullet and hire a car!

The Bay is looking a bit muddy after all that rain at the moment and the wind and chop has made boating interesting.

PM me if you need any further info.

Gidday Jack,

SAAA Chapter 15 (archerfield) used to have monthly meetings at Archerfield airport but I think that has gone by the wayside and now have their monthly meetings at a members home/hangar/venue, I noticed that you fly the AA5s and if you are not already aware, The Brisbane flying group also is based at Archerfield and I think they still have three Grumman Tigers. The Soutport Flying Club is also home to a SAAA chapter, and is a little hard to get into, you could contact them and wrangle an invitation to visit one of their meetings. other than that you can either hire a car or get hold of an aeroplane and visit many of the country aerodromes that have a strong recreational following such as the ones that Mazda has suggested, and you would not be disappointed visiting Watts Bridge, Toowoomba, Warwick, Kingaroy or Gympie aerodromes.

Guest Crezzi

I believe there is an SAAA (closest equivalent to EAA) chapter which meet at Caboolture - I'm not sure who or when but PM if you can't find out & I'll make some enquires. As Mazda indicated, Caboolture is just about "do-able" via public transport

With the fickle weather at the moment it would be best to arrange to meet up with someone - not much fun to get there & discover nobodies home because its been raining all day !

Cheers

John

Typical. Prompt, helpful, thorough replies to my Q and all in less than a day - thanks very much to each of you. Looks like Caboolture might be a good place to start...perhaps on a sunny Saturday. <g>

Jack

There is plenty to see at Caboolture, from home builts to warbirds (including a Mustang). There are RAA aircraft, GA fixed wing, lots of helicopters, gliders and tugs, parachuting (AKA meat bombing) and a small aviation museum. There was a good aero club building with a large covered area looking over the field, but it was struck by lightning in one of the huge storms around Brisbane and is now damaged by fire.

Thanks for those, Kaz. Some very useful tutorials & info. I don't think I'll be flying, tho'. My primary goal is to meet some fellow pilots, some homebuilders, and get a sense for RAA-type aviation in Oz. Well...and to enjoy myself a bit... 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Jack