More newby questions

Latestarter

Hello all, Well I'm looking at all sorts of aircraft and sort of know what I'd like.............Slow is fine, two seats needed, closed cockpit and some character (subjective I know). Needs to be RAA registerable. What do you think?

Now for the dumb question: looking at aircraft specs the gross weight is quoted, is this fully fueled and only lacking people? The RAA weight limit is 650kgs all up isn't it? I like the look of the Slepcev Storch, which seems to fit the bill but is the weight thing ok? Also how do tell what are two stroke engines and what are four stroke? I like the idea of four stroke more but expect there is a weight penalty.

All thoughts gratefully accepted.

Hi Latestarter,

I was hoping someone else would hop in before me and give you the good oil... Probably the best place to start on what the RAA require and will register is their own website - http://www.raa.asn.au/ You can get up their register to see what types they have already registered.

There are also resources on this site too - see Aircraft on the menu and go to Types (I think) and this will give you a list of RAA types (they have different rego categories). Next to think about - build or buy?

The Forum here is a great 'worts & all' discussion on the merits of the types. Start a discussion in the appropriate area (eg Engines - to argue 2 or 4 stroke) and you will get plenty of help.

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Sue

Hi Latestarter,

Sue has correctly suggested looking at the RAA web site for detailed info. Be careful when looking at weights - essentially you need to look for a plane classed either as Light Sports Aircraft (LSA), where the MTOW (Max Take Off Weight) is 600kg or less, or an older spec (non-LSA) plane where the MTOW is 544 kg or less. For seaplanes it is 614kg. Max stall speed 45kts.

MTOW includes everything - fuel, passenger, luggage. But there's also Empty Weight (no pilot, payload, ballast, or usable fuel), Basic Empty Weight, Zero Fuel Weight and others!

As for 2-stroke vs 4-stroke, well I am sure you will generate lots of views from members on this site, but it may be worth bearing in mind some moves afoot (in the US at least) to move away from 2-stroke. Your choice of aircraft will likely determine the engine anyway, unless you intend to build one yourself.

As for which aircraft - well everyone has their own views, but it is generally a good idea to get a fly in as many different types as possible, and then make a checklist of what characteristics are important for you.

If you look in the classifieds on this site or the RA-Aus magazine you will see a variety of types and classes for sale. There were some Gazelles for sale in the latest RA-Aus mag, and as I fly a Gazelle I can recommend one for fun, slow, reasonably-priced flying as long as you don't mind a short endurance, but there are plenty of others that would meet your stated minimum requirements...

HTH - you will no doubt get plenty of other views from other forumites.......

Cheers

Neil

Thanks Sue and Neil, Buying definitely, my wife wouldn't get in one I built myself, she doesn't think I am that handy! Thanks for the pointers guys, I was a bit lost on the RAA site so your comments made a lot of sense Neil. I'd been told about some planes having problems being RAA registered and only flying with one onboard and flying with half tanks to meet the requirements. I have been looking at the Gazelle and I like the look of it (others are the Lightwing 912 and Slepcev Storch). I had in mind flying only for shortish periods (one hour or so) and later on maybe flying further afield as it seems there are alot more airfields around than I thought and maybe a bit of a trip would be good fun. Flying with my wife would be good and if we can squeeze a little luggage on board would be handy.

I'll go and look at some more specs and come back with more dumb questions!

Thanks everyone

Gee LS you've run a gammut of planes there :) I also thought about the Gazelle but I really want to travel and the slow cruise/limited range put me off. I also like the Lightwing but again may be a little slow. I keep coming back to the Savannah/CH701. If you like the idea of high wing and great visibility these might be a good choice for you as well.

As everyone says though - we both need to get out there and fly all these planes!

There's a Gazelle available for hire at MB and there will be a Lightwing (582 2 stroke) available in March sometime (once we get it back together :)) so at least those two are available.