Back into it...

Hi all,

As yet I haven't been tempted to post about my flying training as I've made reasonable (and fairly uninteresting) progress so far. Until my last lesson.

Most of my training has been done in the low wing Tecnam Sierra and, being an easy aircraft to fly, I've had no trouble learning in it and loved flying it. Then, for various reasons, we swapped over to the high wing Eaglet for a few lessons. The Eaglet is a faster and more slippery aircraft and it took a bit to get used to the different characteristics. But after a couple more lessons doing circuits in the Eaglet my instructor, for better or worse, said "another session like that and you'll be going solo".

I went to the next lesson feeling good but I don't think I was over-confident. I was happy to take things as they came. This time it was back in the Sierra and that's when it all went pear shaped. I just couldn't fly the thing. Takeoffs and circuits were sloppy, base turns were too late, approach speed and height were all over the place and I couldn't get the flare right. For the first time in my training my instructor had to take over one of my landings. Part of it was flying a different aircraft again, but mostly it was me and I don't really know why. I left the airport feeling fairly despondent.

That was back in early December and since then we've been flat out on the farm with a long and difficult harvest. But today it was finally time to get back into flying. I must admit to feeling a bit apprehensive. As I left my wife said to me to forget the last lesson and have fun. Seeing it was nearly eight weeks since my last lesson I practised my radio calls and downwind checks on the 80km drive to Wagga airport.

When my instructor suggested we get back into circuits I decided to follow the advice of some wise members here and asked if we could just go for a fly instead, so I could get the hang of things again. That was fine and I headed out to check over the plane. I opened the door into the school's hangar and sitting there was a shiny new Tecnam Twin. Cool! I drooled over this for a little while (I want one!) and then continued outside to preflight the trainer...back into the Eaglet this time. (I usually drool over the company's R44 helicopter that also lives in that hangar).

I spotted an ever-so-slightly loose aileron counterweight on the walk around and after we tightened this up we headed over to the bowser to fuel up, parking near a Chieftain that had just filled up. A group of happy sounding blokes helped the pilot push the Chieftain back and then piled into it and headed off as I was filling the Eaglet.

Then it was my turn and off we flew into a cloudless sky. Takeoff was OK, concentrated on keeping the runway centre line, 1000ft (300ft AGL) flaps up, still concentrating, and then comes a gentle reminder from the instructor....climb speed needs to be faster than that......that little black ball needs to be closer to the centre than that...and we're at 1300ft - time to turn Xwind. Oh well....it's been a while since I've done this. Headed to the training area climbing to 4000ft and then the FI says "do what you like". So I just spent half an hour turning and circling, climbing and descending and generally having a look around. It was fun and a good reminder of why I'm learning to fly.

Back to the airport, joined mid-downwind, remembered the downwind checks, made the radio call and turned base in good time, pulled the throttle, bled off speed, flaps down and started the descent. Time to turn final and the runway picture looks good.....should be able to glide it in. Bit far right after the turn but not too bad, I remind myself that the Eaglet cowl is higher than the Sierra and choose an aiming point on the runway. Bit of throttle to arrest some sink, bit of dancing around in some turbulence, flare feels good, look at the end of the runway and we're down.....a lot sooner than I was expecting but still smooth. Phew! I can still land an aeroplane!

I left the airport feeling a lot better and ready for next time. I can highly recommend just going for a fly when you hit the wall in training....and I'm told everyone hits the wall at some stage.

Peter

Guest davidh10

A good read, Peter.

It is good that you are enjoying flying and sounds like the fly around was a good idea.

Strangely, it is possible to try too hard and to focus on things that you have not done well. The human brain focusses on what we think about, even when it is undesirable. Instead of thinking about not making mistakes, think about doing it correctly. It is subtle, but makes a difference.

Taking a break, as you did, helps with achieving that objective.

All the best.

Good work Powerin.

....and I'm told everyone hits the wall at some stage.

I for one can vouch for that. I had a bad time in the circuit for a couple of weeks but the support and good wishes of plenty of members on this site gave me a boost and I got through it.

I'm sure I would have done it anyway but it was very reassuring to hear from experienced pilots who had gone through the same experience.

As it turned out around 20 hours later I had my GFPT and I'm now working towards PPL. Bound to be the odd wall standing in the way of that too.

Cheers

Mick

Great write up there, and I am sure many of us have hit the wall too at times....

It also sounds to me like the instructor threw you by mentioning that "another session like that and you'll be going solo", as well as the extra pressure of flying two types before solo. Aside from any possibility of confusion between the two types, there was all of a sudden an expectation that you would go solo interferring with the job at hand. When I first went solo, after a few touch and go's the instructor had me pull up, opened his door and said "now you go do one, do it just like you have just been doing it, and if you need to go around, do it". It was very sudden, I had little time to think and then it was done. Too much anticipation isn't always a good thing.