Kangaroo Island, SA

Riley

Help! Trying to gather up information about rec flying activities on/out of Kangaroo Island. Can any Forumite advise current details re: local Rec flying club? Any un-controlled airstrips or is YKSC the sole option? Alternatively, any private home/farm strips on the Island? Any info regarding access to residential recreational flying from Kangaroo Island would be greatly appreciated.

Tks in advance & cheers all. Riley

Guest basscheffers

Not a local, but been there a few times.

There doesn't seem to be a local club, heck, there doesn't seem to be a single GA aircraft based at YKSC! Most local pilots seem to keep their aircraft on their private properties.

If you want to stay, Muston heights is the place to be: http://www.kangaroo-island-au.com/muston/ the owner owns an earth moving company and when he gets bored he creates another runway. Whatever the wind direction, you can land. The final outcome of this will no doubt be a classic "all over" airfield! ;-)

Also a great place to visit is Chapman River Wines: http://ctaf.com.au/2010/03/kangaroo-island-cellar-doors-lunch/ Great for lunch and a swim. This is in walking distance: http://kiecocabins.com/

For fuel, go to Aldinga (AVGAS) or Goolwa. (AVGAS and PULP)

Hope that helps!

Hi Riley,

Last August we stopped in at The Muston Heights airstrip, It's named Johnson in the ERSA & on the WAC chart, named after the owner. I think you'll find contact details in the ERSA. They helped us with ground transport too.

We stayed at Ulonga Lodge at nearby American River which I recommend, though there may be others.

If you do stay at American River, make sure you sample the Oysters from the local fish shop, although it's "Shuk yourself", it's worth it.

Cheers,

Glen

PS, see our trip write-up in the Dec/Jan RAAus rag.

Antechamber Bay is another good place to stop. Its on the eastern end of the Island. I cant for the life of me remember the owners name but they have a great little cafe setup.

Info is probably in the ERSA or ring Adelaide Biplanes (Aldinga).

Kingscote is a CTAF-R "security controlled" airfield, its the only public airfield on the island. There are several private strips on the island. From memory they are in the country airstrips guide. American River is just to the east of Kingscote.

There is no fuel available on the island.... the last stops would be Aldinga or Goolwa as basscheffers said.

Guest basscheffers
Antechamber Bay is another good place to stop.

Just to stop you from looking for two different places: Antechamber Bay is the same as Chapman River wines I described above. :)