garmin 196

hihosland

Ian has just added the Garmin 196 to his list of available goodies.

Thanks Ian for the progress.

The illustration for this device includes a sub-window that looks like a turn co-ordinator.

My question is what is the device using as data to generate this output.?

Is it measuring bank?

Rate of turn?

or is it measuring rate of change of "track made good" and resolving this to present as a banked plane on its screen?

or something else?

Davidh

Guest brentc

The turn coordinator in the 196 and 296 etc use GPS information on your change of direction which is in your words David the rate of turn. It has no way to measure bank as it's not a solid state gyro.

I would not consider the information on that page something to trust my life upon, however the VSI guage probably updates quicker than the real static one.

The 196 is a nice machine. Easier to read than the 296 in sunlight and with the backlight on permanently, very easy to read and use.

Only major difference is that it's grey-scale and doesn't have the terrain mapping which you can't rely on anyway.

The turn coordinator in the 196 and 296 etc use GPS information on your change of direction which is in your words David the rate of turn. It has no way to measure bank as it's not a solid state gyro.I would guess that it is in fact rate of change of direction in track made good. In other words it would probably show a different result for a turn into wind cf a turn downwind.

Just thinking, don't really know.

Davidh

I will try and find out for you next week as the Technical Guy at my supplier is currently in Tassie till Mon.

You will find the prices of the Garmin units cheaper then anywhere else which is what the shop is all about. I also have about 35 odd accessories that I still have to put into the shop for the Garmin units - just need 48hr days at the moment.