GFPT Check Flights

Hi,

Time has come to look at getting a GFPT and aerobatics endorsement. I've been told schools run regular check ups on GFPT holders to make sure they're still flying ok. How often do they run these checks and is it just a circuit or is it a full hour lesson? Is this a CASA requirement or is it a school based insurance thing? I have no problem going up with an instructor, I'm more than confident I fly to a pilot standard and can demonstrate it but being GA it'll cost me an arm and a leg. Instructors are $100/hr on top of solo rate + $100/hr for briefings. I have over 65 hours now (over the minimum requirement for a PPL) and more than some PPL holders. Check flights to see if I can still turn/climb/stall an aeroplane seem kind of pointless. While everyone can improve their skill, it's not something you forget overnight. Does anyone have any information on this?

Just FYI, check flights based specifically around checking my aerobatic performance would obviously be essential for a new comer.

Regards,

Andrew

As far as I remember offhand, it's a CASA requirement for GFPT holders to do a flight with a FI every 15 hours

Want more freedom, get a PPL. GFPTs are generally viewed as a halfway step to a full licence so are more restrictive (others feel free to correct me here).

Darky,

If I was 17, I'd have a PPL ;) Only reason I'm going for GFPT is the aerobatics. I've been told it's one of the best ways to improve your flying. 15 hours isn't that bad though. Is there something like 15 hours or 2 months, whichever comes first?

-Andrew