Will it float?

frankmcm

I understand that the wings of my Jab 450UL have a foam core. Does all that foam give it buoyancy should I have to ditch? From what I see in the hangar a Thruster or Xair would go straight to the bottom. I have seen references to floating Jabirus in the recent Australian floods, and I wondered if this was feature worthy of remark. 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

This one.

[ATTACH]13175.vB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]13176.vB[/ATTACH]

Certainly did float and washed up largely intact further downstream although I understand it was later written off by insurers. There was a bloke who landed in the Channel not too long ago and who stayed aboard his floating ultralight for several hours until rescued, so it is a worthwhile feature.

grantham.jpg.ad3b08bc9d2c26c7050b8419817bc5e1.jpg

853736-grantham-flood-disaster.jpg.7dda1cedb0e8517f963aadeee11ac9bc.jpg

• 4 months later...

Yes

Rgs FP

I understand that the wings of my Jab 450UL have a foam core. Does all that foam give it buoyancy should I have to ditch? From what I see in the hangar a Thruster or Xair would go straight to the bottom. I have seen references to floating Jabirus in the recent Australian floods, and I wondered if this was feature worthy of remark. 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

I was told by someone in the know that when they crossed the strait with a thruster they filled the wings with foam slabs 100mm thick. Could do it with an xair too I suppose. There has been many many thruster crossings. When my thruster was brought to tassie it was flown direct from yarrum to bridport at 9000 feet.

Hi there Terry!

That's a brave move in a Thruster so well done :-)

I've flown a drifter and I can't see how that would float, so I'm impressed others have crossed BS most definitely, where as myself, I'd need something with a glide ratio of 1000:1 or fly at a flight level or something that will float, yep I'm a chicken for sure :-)

Here's a great idea, hire a lift raft and strap to rear seat, "if needed" you simply inflate prior touchdown and bingo :-) all you'll need is a martini and a blonde

Rgs

FP

I was told by someone in the know that when they crossed the strait with a thruster they filled the wings with foam slabs 100mm thick. Could do it with an xair too I suppose. There has been many many thruster crossings. When my thruster was brought to tassie it was flown direct from yarrum to bridport at 9000 feet.

Och

This one.[ATTACH]13175.vB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]13176.vB[/ATTACH]

Certainly did float and washed up largely intact further downstream although I understand it was later written off by insurers. There was a bloke who landed in the Channel not too long ago and who stayed aboard his floating ultralight for several hours until rescued, so it is a worthwhile feature.

Hi there Terry!That's a brave move in a Thruster so well done :-)

I've flown a drifter and I can't see how that would float, so I'm impressed others have crossed BS most definitely, where as myself, I'd need something with a glide ratio of 1000:1 or fly at a flight level or something that will float, yep I'm a chicken for sure :-)

Here's a great idea, hire a lift raft and strap to rear seat, "if needed" you simply inflate prior touchdown and bingo :-) all you'll need is a martini and a blonde

Rgs

FP

Hi Floatplane, I wasn't the pilot so can't take the credit. Having had an engine stop in flight on me I think I'd constantly be thinking about it. Having said that I would island hop the other way. I also have a 701 so think I'd feel okay with a four stroke. It is my plan to put floats on it one day.

Funny thing, I've actually crossed Bass Strait at 'NIGHT" in a C210! what was I thinking, back then being 22, one doesn't consider the 'what ifs' 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif If you ever want to chat about floats, yell out as I might have several suggestions ok.

regards

FP

Looking at the image of the Jabiru floating in the floods - it appears the left wing is barely in the water and the right one not at all. All the buoyancy needed to keep it afloat appears to be in the fuselage. I am assuming the cabin isn't water-tight (mine certainly isn't - but maybe the builder was more meticulous than I am :-) ) Given that the wings are also made up of lots of foam sandwich I would assume there is total buoyancy is waaaay in excess of that needed to keep it afloat if you ditched. Makes me feel a little more comfortable about flying over water.

Now what about techniques for getting safely from air to water?

Funny thing, I've actually crossed Bass Strait at 'NIGHT" in a C210! what was I thinking, back then being 22, one doesn't consider the 'what ifs' 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif If you ever want to chat about floats, yell out as I might have several suggestions ok.regards

FP

Thanks FP, I'll will contact you when the time comes. The more info the better.

Looking at the image of the Jabiru floating in the floods - it appears the left wing is barely in the water and the right one not at all. All the buoyancy needed to keep it afloat appears to be in the fuselage. I am assuming the cabin isn't water-tight (mine certainly isn't - but maybe the builder was more meticulous than I am :-) ) Given that the wings are also made up of lots of foam sandwich I would assume there is total buoyancy is waaaay in excess of that needed to keep it afloat if you ditched. Makes me feel a little more comfortable about flying over water.Now what about techniques for getting safely from air to water?

Sorry, you talking regarding diching? or actually land on water with floats attached? 064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif

rgs

FP

Was thinking more about ditching.Anyone had to ditch a jabiru?

Did it flip over on wheels touching the water?

Hi Jaba-who

I guess there just might be someone that has ditched a Jab considering their poor engine performance as of late :-) But honestly provided it's done right you should (like most fixed gear) be able to simply stall the thing onto the water, if your unlucky to screw that up, than yes, it just might flip over onto it's wings. It's something one can't practice, theory only :-) Guess the best way is to have floats when crossing then remove them once back home, much saver option or I guess take a jet :-). Clamar are offering quick conversions for jabs or any LSA plane?? check out their web site.

rgs

FP

Guess the best way is to have floats when crossing then remove them once back home, much saver option

I have no personal experience of floats but have a friend who has owned a Lake Bucaneer and now a C 206 on floats and I have heard him say that floats are actually quite restricted - can't land when there is more than a very light swell or waves.

Well I guess there is some truth there by design, however I've no intention to land in conditions (in either floating hull or floatplane) where this will ever be an issue - your talking about major waves in excess of 3' and trust me, unless it's a forced landing you'd want to avoid. It's like landing in a cross wind 2 times your a/c demonstrated limit, when there is a perfectly good runway pointing into wind! If waves are that bad you simply don't land or find a sheltered spot where it's calm. In Melbourne's Port Phillip Bay it happens a lot, I just go somewhere smooth :-)

I've seen 2 Buckies that broke in half doing just that, became so rough that the engine pod fell off and went through tail section still turning! No thanks.

Rgs

FP

I have no personal experience of floats but have a friend who has owned a Lake Bucaneer and now a C 206 on floats and I have heard him say that floats are actually quite restricted - can't land when there is more than a very light swell or waves.

In the context of your original post about crossing ocean being safer with floats - knowing my luck there wouldn't be anywhere smooth to land.

I think my friend said the buccaneer was limited to waves of less than 1 foot. So essentially in the open waters of say Bass Strait I would have thought that there would be lots of days where floats or floating hull would be not any better than wheels.

Not that I am thinking Bass Strait anyway. I am from Cairns so the warmer but no less choppy waters of the Barrier Reef were more where I had mind. There are more days where you can't land a float plane than can up here.

But

In the context of your original post about crossing ocean being safer with floats - knowing my luck there wouldn't be anywhere smooth to land.I think my friend said the buccaneer was limited to waves of less than 1 foot. So essentially in the open waters of say Bass Strait I would have thought that there would be lots of days where floats or floating hull would be not any better than wheels.

Not that I am thinking Bass Strait anyway. I am from Cairns so the warmer but no less choppy waters of the Barrier Reef were more where I had mind. There are more days where you can't land a float plane than can up here.

But

G'Day Jaba

Probably getting right done to tick tacks now, but 'open water swells of 1 foot' would be fine in any sea/floatplane as the it's the swell that causes problems not really the size of the wave (well hang on). Let me explain - most swells I've seen (being an ex-surfer, plus I still sail boats in the ocean as well) definately have been high, obvoiusly one must keep away from breaking waves like surf, but if the waves were 50' you could still land (be a brave person) as the distance between those swells are normally around 100' or more 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif. One lands on it's crest, certainly not infront of the oncoming crest. Again, I don't recommend it but it can be done, however in Port Phillip Bay the swell is around 20' (on those windy days) thus the term 'choppy conditions' pretty much represent the conditions here, in the ocean though it's different and very much survivable, rivers? well thats totally different of cause. Up your way of really rough days, one lands on the 'sheltered side of an Island/reef or river and I'm not surprised the Buccy has a limitation, but its mainly due to that engine pod you'll find, least thats what I remember it to be.

Regards

FP