Any info on this aircraft

Hi Guys, anyone got some info/photos of this aircraft?

KINGFISHER AIRCRAFT

This web page has been set up as a means of access to some details of the basic 2 seater prototype aircraft that I own. I call it the Kingfisher but a lot of Aviators associate it with the Sadler Vampire. Mainly because it looks so much like the Vampire and that it was also built by the same Australian company that built the single seater Vampire.

The following are the main points about the whole project, what I intended to do with it, (and why) and what it now appears I may do with it.

The aircraft is owned by my own Company Ronald M Fisher & Associates Pty Ltd. My contacts are as follows:-

Postal Address :- 32 Aquilla Avenue, Torquay, Victoria, Australia. 3228

Phone and fax:- 61 03 52 614916.

E-mail address. [email protected]

The aircraft.

It is a 2 seater with side by side seats, 16 degrees swept metal mid wing, composite fuselage, twin booms, pusher engine installation and tricycle undercarriage with steerable nose wheel and individual toe brakes. The engine is an 80 HP Jabiru 4 cylinder. Wooden fixed pitch propeller. Visibility is nearly perfect.

It is ready to fly and this may occur soon. It is in Experimental category with a Maintenance Release from a CASA approved workshop. It also has a CASA C of A.

The owner.

I am 70 years of age and have been flying for just over 50 years. I was trained in the RAAF and flew as a co-pilot in Lincoln Bombers in Malaya in 1955-56. I joined Qantas in 1957 as a second officer on Super Constellations and in 1958 I went into General Aviation where I operated my own flying schools and charter businesses for 26 years. I have approx. 15,000 total hours of which approx. 5,000 are as an instructor.

I once had a Cessna Dealership with a DCA approved workshop.

Present position with the project.

I had been thinking about selling the whole project due mainly due to my age and the fact that there did not appear to be a lot of interest in the aircraft. The latter now appears to be incorrect? I therefore am re-thinking what I will do and if there is sufficient interest to get some sales of parts and a positive cash flow for a change I may stay with it.

I have canvassed some potential manufacturers of parts and could contract out nearly every part at this time. The last quotes I obtained were about 2 years ago so they would need to be revised for any future activity.

At that time the total cost of all of the parts to make a complete aircraft, including the engine, came to approx. $40,000 AUD, and the $AUD equals approx. 60 cents US at this time.

I do not intend to put a lot of detail on this site and those who are interested in possible purchase will need to contact me direct.

Future changes proposed with the aircraft.

Not very many really. But these are some being considered.

2. The upper leading edge fin line to be extended until it meets the extension of the rear line of the rudders. This will give the aircraft a little more pointed look! The fins below the booms to stay as they are.

3. The nose may be more pointed. This improves the looks(?) and also gives a position where some dead weight may be needed to be put to get the C of G correct.

4. The front screen should be made to be able to be lifted off. This makes a vast improvement for maintenance behind the instrument panel and for the nose strut, steering, etc.

5. The whole fuselage to be made with all surfaces all curved. At present the lines of the canopies and front screen are straight and it would look much better curved.

6. The rear cowl would be made to swing up, above the engine, for easier maintenance.

7. The air ducts for the cooling air to be just above the engine, not at the inner leading edge of the wing. This would save the weight of the present ducts (about 6 feet long for each side) and would cost less. The efficiency of the airflow may also be improved.

8. A wooden, or E-glass, 4 or 5 blade extractor fan will be attached just in front of the main propeller so that there will have no problems with fatigue of the blades.

9. The main undercarriage will most likely be pultruded E-glass, instead of the current spring steel. This will save weight and will cost much less.

10. The nose strut may be the nose strut of the Jabiru aircraft. It will fit quite well, but we would lose the individual toe brakes of course. This is being considered as I can purchase the complete kit from Jabiru and it saves another contract being arranged. There are a lot of small pieces in the current nose strut, etc.

11. The fuel tanks may be under the seats or a combination of the wing root and under the seats.

12. The entry doors need some redesigning so that it is easier to get in and out than at present. Doors that wrap round the cockpit and meet in the middle underneath, or maybe doors that come down to floor level and then a "fall down" door hinged at the front so that when released they hang vertical and you simply stand on the ground, step sideways and your out!! The reverse for entry!!

13. Then the main extra aim is to certify the aircraft in the Light Sport Aircraft category just about being completed in the USA. This could open up larger numbers of aircraft being produced from which we should all benefit.

I see the main future of this aircraft in the Light Sport Aircraft category. I had thought that the Primary category was going to be aircraft of the future, but the bureaucrats soon treated it almost the same as FAR 23 and so priced it right out of the calculations.

The US and the Australian Light Sport Aircraft categories should be the same and they should have the details virtually finalised this year??

Therefore we should be getting the details of this aircraft finished and ready for production right now so that when the category becomes effective we should be in production or very close to such.

The following are an example of some of the quotes I obtained about 2 years ago for parts for the aircraft.

2. Each wing. Approx. $5,000 each. Fully assembled. (Parts only approx. $3,500. This included approx. $1,500 to cut and press all ribs for the wings.)

3. Welded airframe. Labour only. $2,100. Materials cost approx. $750.

4. Composite fuselage. Approx. $3,000.

5. Booms, tailplane, elevator, rudders, etc. Approx. $2,000.

6. Items such as push-pull cables, hinges, nuts and bolts, rivets, etc were not priced.

7. Neither were small welded parts for fixing of spars to booms, joystick, rudder pedal rods, door catches, seat belt attachments, etc.

8. The above did not include cost of jigs for the wings or airframe.

It is felt that the builder would have to purchase the welded airframe, composite fuselage, and possibly primary parts such as wing main spars, nose strut assembly, as it would be far too costly for individuals to make up jigs, etc, and also to make important primary structure parts.

No quotes were obtained for instruments, radios, painting of aircraft, wheels, tyres and tubes, etc, as they are readily available from other sources.

It is intended that if there sufficient interest over the next few weeks I will proceed with obtaining another set of quotes for all the parts that I would have to supply.

SUMMARY OF THE ABOVE.

I have never even seen a single seater Vampire let alone fly in one. About 8 years ago I looked at building a pusher type 2 seater as I had once flown a Cessna push pull and found that it performed far better on the rear engine than on the front one. I also liked the look of the pusher!!

When I first saw the present aircraft it fitted exactly what I was interested in so I bought it. After a long period of looking to have it in Primary and then Experimental I finally put it all together and have it in Experimental. Right at this time I am having some difficulties with the paperwork and may not be able to fly it in May as I expected to.

I am looking for people to assist in getting my aircraft through the Light Sport Aircraft (LSA) category when it is available. I see limited sales for an aircraft that is not certified. If an aircraft is certified and can be used by General Aviation flying schools, (even though limited to Day VMC) to replace the Cessna 150’s, etc, then I see a huge market for it.

In Australia we have the additional AUF schools that can use aircraft up to 544 kgs MTOW. And this aircraft can meet that weight limit.

But the Australian market is quite small compared to the US and European markets, so any production out here needs to go for the export market, and that would not be very high if we only produced Experimental kits that have to be 51% built by the Amateur builder.

And of course the LSA aircraft will be able be built by the Amateur builder with far less than 51% content by the builder, thus opening up an even greater market.

So to me the LSA market is way out in front of what I now have, which is purely the Australians who have to build 51%.

The advantage of course in production in Australia is that we appear to have lower labour costs in this field and so can provide an equivalent product at a much lower price??? Any comments, please. And of course I live in Australia.

This aircraft is to the point where kits could be produced for Experimental 51%, and with another approx. $100,000 AUD it could attain the LSA category?? Which is where I believe that the sales will be.

Hence my desire to talk to people who have the same ideas and who would wish to join me in my project.

I may not have made it quite clear in what I have. A completed aircraft in Experimental category with a CASA Certificate of Airworthiness. There are also about 150 detailed professionally produced technical drawings, form blocks for the ribs, and the composite moulds for the composite fuselage.

I therefore have two scenarios.

2. I can continue with what I have attained and my only customers would be mainly Australian 51% Experimental customers. Not much chance of export orders!!

3. Proceed to the LSA certification and greatly increase the potential customers. Mainly export, for sure.

I do believe that scenario 2 would have potential customers in the order of a multiple of 10, compared to Scenario 1.

There is a Sadler Vampire group that has a web page that you may wish to join.

The address is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sadlervampiresite Join in!!!

Quote, Personally I don't think the design had anything much to offer. End quote

Oh I don't know. Perhaps a composite of both designs. Throw away the swept wing idea, retain his new (nude man) cockpit profile but make sure it had the opening door as on the US one (see it as it taxis). Personally I'd change those awful looking fins as well, never did like them on the single seater. I'm not a fan of those thin booms either. They may be functional but aesthetically, they're horrible. Prefer something more curvaceous, as in my new avatar.