Engine hose regulations

Guest Maj Millard

Generally the following broadly applies : A GA registered aircraft is required to be maintained to the manufacturers service instructions. This would generally be the maintence manual for that aircraft. Also available online.

Same generally applies to a factory built UL aircraft.

Rotax states that all rubber components on there engines should be replaced every five years.

Common sense would also apply. An 'on-condition' inspectionof all critical hoses (oil,fuel,vacume etc.) should be part of all 50 and 100 hour inspections, or at any time you think it is warranted due to leakage stains, fuel smells in flight, or when things just have been on for too damn long.

The publication AC43-13 which is a manual of 'Acceptable techniques and Practices' is often referred to by persons maintaining aircraft, and is an accepted reference by RAAus and CASA.

I'd much rather err on the side of caution, and change hoses early, than suffer the potentially disasterous consiquences of something rupturing in flight.............................................................................Maj...

Ant,

The Australian general hose AD disappeared many years ago - refer to aircraft manufacturer's Instructions for Continued Airworthiness. Not sure that there is anything specified in the Pitts manuals apart from vague words for the 1000 hrly inspection. Next step is the hose manufacturer - the parts catalogue will have the hose manufacturer's part number. I suggest that you give the factory a call.

The Decathlon hoses have a 10 year life.

Firesleeve - my mechanic simply put it on when we fitted new hoses - the requirement would be whatever is specified by the manufacturer - refer the parts catalogue.

PS - you don't have any Aeroquip 601 stuff do you? If so, throw it away.

Guest Maj Millard

The firesleeve is fitted to engine bay fuel and oil lines to comply with the requirement to have a two minute delay in those lines being jeperdized or breached with an engine fire....if your cruising at altitude and an engine fire developes, they may be the best two minutes of your life..............................................................Maj...

So I guess that the hose specifications are part of the Type Certificate or something like that and therefore doesn't apply to my experimental aircraft.

DJP, all my oil hoses are Aeroquip 601 ;) Are you referring to the AD about the hose from a few years ago? Apparently the hoses don't like unleaded fuel. Is there something else about them I need to know?

Guest Maj Millard

Yes you could be correct there Dj. Some metal braided lines and solid metal lines probabily comply already, as you are probabily aware. The whole hose debarcle as administered by CASA in recent years, has left many people totally confused over the whole thing.

One minute it was 'on condition', next it was replace every 5 years from DOM. Then it went to manufacturers recommendations !.

The thing now to comply with the original aircraft manufacturers maintenance instructions, is probabily the easy and most understandable way to go........................bottom line is don't let your critical rubber hoses get too old I suppose....................Cheers Maj...

Flying Ant. If you have an experimental aircraft it will be on the GA register and have to comply with whatever maintenance program is approved. If it is RAAus registered it will not be experimental, but home built and that is a case of anything goes, but prudence would have you complying with at least AC43-13B. As far as firesleeve goes you would be mad to omit it from any lines in the engine bay