Achieving more balanced turns?

As stated in the video and elsewhere, rudder is generally used to balance the adverse yaw caused by the ailerons.

But consider this, when you roll into a turn, you only need hold aileron until the desired angle of bank is achieved.

Once banked, the ailerons come back close to central (varies with aircraft), this means you only needed the rudder to co-ordinate while rolling in, once rolled the rudder should also return close to centred.

Here's a clue, if you find you are holding aileron out of the turn because the aircraft feels like it wants to roll in further, you're probably still holding a bit of rudder (ball out of the turn),

Another point to consider, when rolling back OUT of the turn, you will often need more rudder to co-ordinate than you used to go in.

This is generally because while in the turn you are holding a bit of back stick, which gives a higher angle of attack, which exaggerates the adverse yaw when rolling out.

To roll out, I tend to teach leading with rudder (once again varies with aircraft) followed by applying aileron and lowering the nose at the same time.

'Rolling on a point' is a good exercise, difficult to perfect (practice etc) and will show that you need to vary rudder inputs to achieve a balanced roll, usually a strong input to begin reversing a roll but easing off as the aircraft comes past level.

Other rudder things to watch would be variations of amount of rudder needed depending on power setting at the time.

At full power and in climb, you will need to be holding a bit of rudder to keep the ball central, if you do a turn while climbing it may be a case of not applying rudder in the direction of the turn, but more an easing OFF of the power rudder to allow the turn.

ie; If flying a Jab or 912 powered tractor (pulling, not pushing) aircraft, you will be holding a bit of right rudder to stay straight.

If you then go into a typical LEFT circuit turn, you may only need to ease off the right rudder while rolling to stay balanced.

Just remember when you get to the base turn with reduced power (idle if you're with me!) then you will need left rudder to co-ordinate.

Arthur.

Thanks again folks, good stuff.

Bob Hoover throwing commercial light aircraft about without power. The part that is relevant to this thread is from 2:00 on, pouring a cup of tea while rolling. 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gifLike the way he downplays it so much.... great country and I love them but I have to say this is kinda rare amongst his countryfolk of the current generation.

Something of a product of a situation never to be repeated. People the likes of Hoover had the training opportunities and experience to rise to a very accomplished level of pilotage & airmanship. There was quite a few of them. He had his licence withdrawn by the FAA due to age and alleged deteriation of judgement/ reactions etc. When he came to Australia subsequently, he was issued with an Australian licence due to the efforts of Barry Diamond, (CASA). Hoover then flew the sequence in an Aero commander at Avalon that I presume is on the Vid. Nev

Something of a product of a situation never to be repeated. People the likes of Hoover had the training opportunities and experience to rise to a very accomplished level of pilotage & airmanship. There was quite a few of them. He had his licence withdrawn by the FAA due to age and alleged deteriation of judgement/ reactions etc. When he came to Australia subsequently, he was issued with an Australian licence due to the efforts of Barry Diamond, (CASA). Hoover then flew the sequence in an Aero commander at Avalon that I presume is on the Vid. Nev

Bob also flew a similar sequence at Archerfield. Around the early to mid nineties from memory.I was lucky enough to be there.