new pilot

evo

hi all

i am an ex GA pilot who can no longer fly GA solo due to medical, and im looking at building a kit ultralight and flying under ra-aus.

most likely one of the planes from airdromeairplanes.com, if anyone here is building or has built one id like to hear from them.

cheers 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Guest rocketdriver

Hi Evo and welcome ..... join the club re ex GA ...airdromeairplanes.com ook interesting but plan on costs and timne being about twice what is quoted! What have you been flying previously?

Regrds

RD

hi, ive only flown a cessna 152 (27 hours) 150 aerobat (2 hours) and an raaus foxbat A-22 (1 hour) then lost my medical. i was just at the gfpt and only about 5 hours solo :/

as for those aircraft, they look good to me, i dont want anything too slow like a trike and i want open cockpit, although i would prefer a rans s-9 if it could be registered. im just slowly going through ra-aus regulations and there seem to be more than casa so im still trying to work out what they will and will not register.

id like to but its 1320 lbs, or 598kg, isnt the limit 544 mtow? and hes refusing to sell it overseas. plus i think it would be cool building and i want to use a larger fuel tank and some other mods.

Guest basscheffers
i would prefer a rans s-9 if it could be registered.

That one falls easily within RA-Aus rules. The only thing is that even though it is an aerobatic aircraft, you can't actually do any aeros in it if you register it RA-Aus.

The other problem is that it is single seat, so no instruction; the first time you fly it is the first time you solo it! So you would need to get a fair bit of experience flying similar taildraggers that are two seater. So might be best to pick a two seater to build so you can go up with an instructor. Maybe a Rans S-10?

im still trying to work out what they will and will not register

Anything that stalls at less than 45 kt in landing configuration at max gross will pretty much get in, with MTOW being maximum of 544 KG. There is a rule that at MTOW of 544 KG, you must actually be able fill the seats with standard humans and have a reasonable amount of fuel on board. i.e.: claiming 544 KG with two 75KG people and 10 litres of fuel isn't going to do it. You can register an aircraft that on the books has a higher MTOW than 544 KG, but you won't be allowed to fly it at over 544 KG, which is where the people/fuel rule becomes important.

If you find something interesting, check the RA-Aus website's aircraft register and see if someone has registered one before.

evo, I think you need to be realistic about your prospects of flying if you start a home built project from scratch. Better to have a nice plane to fly now when the weather is nice and work on your project when its not.

Welcome Evo.

hey I've been eyeing the airdrome aircraft for a while now. I have a container leaving the US in a couple of months & was considering squeezing one in for myself given they are so cheap. But I would prefer a two seater and I think they are all single.

That one falls easily within RA-Aus rules. The only thing is that even though it is an aerobatic aircraft, you can't actually do any aeros in it if you register it RA-Aus.

i wasnt supposed to do acro in the 152 either...what they cant see wont hurt them, the airdrome planes are actually 9g airframes and you can see some acro on youtube

evo, I think you need to be realistic about your prospects of flying if you start a home built project from scratch. Better to have a nice plane to fly now when the weather is nice and work on your project when its not.

i intend on doing some dual GA flying in a tail dragger to build hours up while i build it

Welcome Evo.hey I've been eyeing the airdrome aircraft for a while now. I have a container leaving the US in a couple of months & was considering squeezing one in for myself given they are so cheap. But I would prefer a two seater and I think they are all single.

hi, i know they scale them up or down for you, ie: you can buy a 3/4 scaled to 100% and i saw a fokker D7 i think with two places covered by a fairing. they can pretty much do anything you need. to have an entire kit here crated and shipped is only about $800 too. let me know what you decide to do

My husband built a RANS S7 and found it just like a big mechano set. Everything comes packed and labelled so he started by hanging up all the packets etc so everything was easy to find and got going. The manual was comprehensive. With kits there can be good and bad, so talk to someone who has built one to find out if it was a Pandora's box of missing and misformed parts or, as ours was, a very well organised and complete package. Build time - we took 6 years - but during that time his first wife battled cancer with constant trips (8hrs ea) for treatment until she died, then the grief filled doldrums, and then 13 months trying to convince me to marry him, and then he finished. Cut out all that drama and it would have taken about 3 years spare time, (he works full time). It is a fantastic plane to fly, responsive etc. 2 seats, one behind the other. Its not certified for aeros but you can't do them in RAAus planes with the exception that there is an Advanced Award (see the RAAus Ops manual Section 3.04 - 39) which covers things like Lazy Eights. The global financial situation makes it a magic time to buy off the rest of the world. It might not be this good again for a couple of decades. Enjoy it.

Sue

Hi Evo,

If you like low and slow in an open cockpit have a look at Pietenpol Aircampers. When I can fly its going to be my build project. There are a few guys in Oz (both GA and RAA) in the build process who are real helpful. Two great Oz websites that show what can be done are www.scottyspietenpol.com and www.cpc-world.com

Enjoy:joystick: