Mosquito Personal Helicopter

Guest extralite

Guest extralite

Apologies if this has been posted before.

Seems to be very popular in the USA. Could only find one accident to date and cause was unknown but speculation was it might have flipped on floats.

Under what category would this fall in Australia? (love the APU powered one.)

I looked at this once, really neat machine but the training cost here in AU was outrageous, the full GA helicopter routine.

I believe there have been two serious accidents which were both related to pilot error - probably lack of training. OK so training is important (essential) but will it ever be affordable? I believe NZ has better options but I don't know if this translates easily.

Guest ozzie

The Mosquito helicopter is popular in the USA as a couple of the models fall into the FAR103 catagory. IE It is classed as a recreational vehicle and not an aircraft and it needs no rego or licence to fly it.

over here it is the usual over regulated CASA BS. Experimental rotary wing probably. Several are flying all have VH rego. you will also need a PPL rotary wing minimum.

Moves are being made at the moment to have the ultralight helos covered under ASRA, which will reduce costs dramaticly, one would hope any way, but the fact still remains how do you train, atm i dont know of any 2 seat helos that fit under the weight limit, NOT THAT I KNOW MUCH ABOUT IT, so dont shoot the messenger (please)

Guest burbles1

How does New Zealand handle training on those machines? I've noticed they seem to be popular at fly-ins there.

Guest aussie carl

note with the turbine jobie, the large Starter batteries required for starting. If the turbine is shut down away from your starter pack you may need to get a jump start from somones car.

What ever happened to the Mini 500.It was a neat Personal chopper. They sold heaps of them years ago.They looked realy good.

What you mean apart from multible engine failures and the resulting forward tuck that killed near all, lots from what i hear are still sitting in sheds unfinished or unflyable.

http://brumbyhelicopters.com.au/

This is one sweet ride though, got the right engine in it for a start, bla bla bla