Jabiru 2200 in the RV-12

Guest basscheffers

Not if you want to register it as an LSA at 600 KG you don't! Put in the 2200 and it's a 544 KG aircraft...

Yeah been watching that thread, be nice to have some choice. With a bit of luck the 600/544kg split will be academic soon - although I won't be holding my breathe, we seem to be be very far down CASA's priorities.

G'day again all - I'm not advocating or recommending - just passing on what I chanced upon on VAF forums.

It is true that Jab engines continue to have reliability reputational challenges (if I can spin it that way) and the shorter TBO is certainly an issue too. I'm building AB(E) and will register VH so the MTOW is not an issue for me. I do wonder though, given the preponderance of Jabirus in the training and recreational fleet, if the actual reliability data (as opposed to opinion) bear out the checkered reputation.

I like to think I'm fairly open-minded on the Jabiru question, but there is more to this. The RV is a plane that can get along. The Rotax has the facility of allowing a variable pitch prop to be fairly easily installed. I think that the Rotax is the "standard" engine for that aircraft. You may consider the resale value too. I don't at this point of time know what the "TBO" for the Jab is but it is a question of whether it gets there,, most times. Most problems would be fixed with a "top" overhaul at an appropriate time and attention to temperature and mixture considerations. Rotax have no valve life or head problems and a high reputation for reliability generally. You pays your money and takes your chances. Nev

• 3 weeks later...

The RV-12 will perform really well if you keep at least 100HP up front. I'd hesitate to use a Jab 2200 because it's only 85HP - apart from the reliability issues. Remember that in Australia we are operating at 10-15deg above standard most of the year....and only HP helps! In the USA, the RV-12 is limited in performance by the max 120 kts rule, ie, 120KTAS at 75% power. That's why it is held back by VANS' recommendation on propellors. In Australia, you can use a VP or CS prop, and get more TAS out of it at altitude....probably >120KTAS is achievable. I think that VANS will soon come out with a recommendation for the Lycoming 0-233, or IO-233 engine, and that's where I'd be looking. Why..........VANS loves Lycomings, he has an OEM deal with them, and they are a known product with a 2400 TBO, and I feel comfortable behind one too.

happy days,