MoGas ... YooHoo ... where are you ?

Speddo

How do I find out which airfields provide MoGas ?

and ... why is it so rare when there are so many RAA users ?

(I'm sure this has been done to death before, I just haven't uncovered the answer yet ...)

Not listed, as far as I know. The volume of mogas that would be dispensed from just about any airfield would be small. Most engines will operate on what the certified stuff use, which most of them MUST run on, so you CAN keep going, using avgas.. There just wouldn't be enough business to make it profitable. generally. Ballarat has access to a mogas bowser. There may be others. Some of the big round engines run on mogas. I am sure that I know of a Grumman Ag Cat that was using mogas. Most LAME's that I know don't recommend it. Nev

The broad answer is YES. Avgas will keep better than mogas, but if the mix is not kept for longer than normal it would be OK. Don't put avgas in your car or bike with a catalytic convertor or you will kill it. Nev

Guest davidh10

Also check whether there are any implications of running Avgas. The Rotax 912 requires reduced maintenance intervals and Halves the hours between oil. Changes, among other implications.

One or two fills are not Sig.ificant, but if you run Avgas 30% of the time, then the maintenance implications are invoked.

I have been doing alot of research on the Net, because I will be putting in a Lycoming or a clone which will be either Superior or Aerosports power IO-320 donk in the RV.That wont be happening for a few years yet.Anyway I have came across alot of people who will fill one tank in Avgas and the other one with PULP.T/O on Avgas then cruise on Unleaded.The run in period for Lycoming and it clones are the first 50 hours on Avgas with the engine running at 75 percent throttle above to WOT to seat the rings etc.

(Dont get me started on electronic ignition, im getting confused eg- E mags, P mags, Plasma 2 and 3 series. EFI2.EF blah blah all from different companies. The RV will be GA AMB EXP)

PS- As Nev has mentioned , it doesnt hurt to run the same tank with mogas and Avgas mixed together as long as it isnt stale.