Gazelle Performance Figures

Admin

Guest micgrace

Hi Ian

I recall somewhere in the flight manual for the Gazelle (wi 912 A1, A2, A3), not to use AvgasLL unless that's all that's available.

Page 8 .........

Fuel Grade: MOGAS (SUPER) or AVGAS Low Lead........

(MIN RON 90) ..... or AVGAS 100 LL

(Then it contradicts itself) typed directly from the flight manual

"Due to the higher lead content in AVGAS, the wear of the vavle seats and deposits in the combustion chamber will increase. Therefore, use AVGAS only if problems occur with vapour lock or if MOGAS is not available."

Bit strange don't you think?

Micgrace :)

Very strange Michael, I know of several Gazelles that only run Avgas (Wangaratta, Tyabb etc) and I do know that like all Rotax's that if running Avgas you need to change the oil every 25hrs though

Guest micgrace

Hi Ian

CASA approval date for that CA-25N flight manual was 4 DEC 1996. Must not have picked up on it.

Strange.

Micgrace :)

Guest Stkin0

We have a Gazelle for training and we never use avgas in it and it runs fine....don't ask what we use asI dont know....butI got a training flight on Fridayso I will ask then

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Fred Bear

I believe the information in the first postisincorrect - what you have posted is not from the Gazelle flight manual. It looks like it has been created / transposed by an owner or operator.

The stall speed of the Gazelle at MTOW is normally 45 knots.

I would be interested to know why what you have posted says 43.

Also, Rotax 912's in general should be run on Premium unleaded if and when available. Changing the oil at 25 hours is a goodidea, however the lead does damage to the engine. Bert Flood's will happily provide you with further information on this if required.

Perhaps a thread on this in engines might be appropriate.

I believe inGA however, schools must use Avgas for charter / air work.

ClemBrown

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Nope, the 912 is a 4-stroke, said to be one of the most reliable engines in the world. It has a gearbox and an approximate max RPM of 5,600, with 5,500 continuous and usually 5,000 - 5,200 in the cruise. Jab engines for example are direct drive and max out at around 2,200 rpm.

The 912 is 1.2 litres in capacity and 80 hp.

The 912S is 1.4 litres and 100hp.

The 914 is a turbocharged 1.2 litre, 115hp.

Guest Guest

Very similar in noise levels to GA, probably a bit noisier. In GA you can normally fly without a headset, but in most U/L's including the Gazelle you wouldn't. It all depends on the aircraft design. I once flew in a 912 Storm and with headsets on you'd hardly know that the engine was even running (seriously). The 912 with appropriate prop combination when it flies over is extremely quiet in comparison to other aircraft.

The 912 is a great engine and aside from a head tension at 400 hours and 50 hourly (25 onAvgas) oil changes, it requires practically no maintenance.

At 1,500 hours it gets a top-end rebuild.