Shell 2 stroke oil -

I was approached by one of the refuellers at Temora during Natfly. He showed me a new 2 stroke oil that has been developed by shell in conjunction with rotax for 2 stroke engines. (the rotax association was on the label. He said that shell wanted a n oil to accompany the 4 stroke aeroshell product.

I didn't buy any as I have 4 lts of activ 2t left but said I would put it on the forum as an interest point.

Cheers

Maynard

• 11 months later...
Guest Toally87

Has anyone ever heard of AGIP oils?

It's the same oil as ferrari's come with out of the factory!!!

I'm currently working with the Australian importer to see what AGIP oils would be best suited for our aviation adventures....

The first one i'm looking at is two stroke oils for use in my paramotor, but the seeds are planted to hopefully have a high quality four stroke oil that we can use other than what seems to be a market domination of aeroshell.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm 99% sure Shell supply the lubes (Helix) and fuels (V'Power) for OEM 1st fill for all production Ferrari vehicles.... Agip had done some stuff sometime ago but Shell sponsorship is way too powerful in F1 for AGIP.

Cheers

Vev

IF a company (SHELL) is prepared to put their name on an oil for Two-atroke AIRCRAFT, that is quite rare and I see it as significant. Pennzoil (not Penrite) did a test on one of their oils in the USA which was specifically formulated for aircraft use and are prepared to support it, also. This is not to say that there are not other oils out there that are good or even better. Some oils that a maker recommends (in Europe) are not the same in Australia, even though the labelling is similar.

I have almost universally flown on Valvoline Racing Two stroke which is a mineral oil and not a synthetic, and I know some schools have been using it also with no problems over a long time, but not many schools run two strokes these days. Nev

Nev,

Interesting you mention mineral base oils over synthetics ... In my humble opinion, I also favor minerals over Synthetics PAO (polyalphaolefin) owing to their ability to defuse in fuels, particularly avgas because of the low levels of aromatics in isooctane, which is the main constant in avags. There is a lot to be said about the good things that mineral base stocks provide ... Unfortunately the oil marketing departments have sometimes promoted synthetic above their capabilities.

Cheers

Vev

I have almost universally flown on Valvoline Racing Two stroke which is a mineral oil and not a synthetic' date='[/quote']I once owned a Rotax-engined Aprilia RS125 motorcycle - a frantic little two stroke engine of 125cc that made peak power of 30 horses at around 10,500rpm! I ran it exclusively on the Valvoline oil and on teardown to replace the piston at 12,400km of service (overdue max by 400km) it showed only normal wear and tear and very little deposits on the cylinder head and piston crown.

I'd recommend it to anyone as a good oil; that little bike was high strung and ridden hard. Obviously, however, I have no experience in its use with aircraft.

Cheers - boingk

Aprilia's are great bikes. Valvoline say that the racing two stroke oil is one of their best products..

Take a bit of notice of Vev. He is in this game and knows a hell of a lot more than me . (hope i'm not giving too much away Vev). Nev