Corrosion on factory builts

Guest Perro

Guest Perro

Just wondering if anybody knows anything about the corrosion problem on factory built Savannahs. It seems that they are showing serious corrosion after only a few months from delivery. I am concerned as I have one on the water at the moment.

Unless it was specially treated at the build stage I would expect any sheet metal aircraft to have corrosion issues in a salt environment. Even then It would require special inspection and maintenance in service. You have a need to be concerned. Sorry I don't have any specific advice on your type. Nev..

Guest Perro

Thanks Nev,

I think the ones with problems are close to the coast but I thought even then that it would be way too quick as evidently they are fairly bad. I live in the [mostly] dry inland so maybe not such a problem for me.

tim

Ok I thought you might have it near salt. I have seen some early SAV's that I woudn't get in. There are some coatings that don't harden used internally but they "lubricate" the rivetted joints and some think that they are weakened that way.( I agree). I lived for a while near swan Hill "Lake Boga" an old Catalina Base and that area is very salty although a long way from the sea. Everything rusted. Nev

• 3 weeks later...

The distributor and agents are all over this and I believe a production remedy is being applied. Bill & Reg have been very forthright and open in representing this to the factory for resolution and me as a potential owner and I can only offer praise for the leverage they have applied to get a speedy resolution adopted in production. I understand current fact. blt owners will be fully covered as and if required.

In my job we have a saying" it's not whether something goes wrong with machinery- but how the problem is handled and resolved" Good manufacturer's, distributors and retailers learn this- that's why who you buy from is just as important what you buy.

Guest Walter Buschor

Hi Perro,

I too Have a Savvy and have had some small "corrosion" spots. Many are concerned about them and rightly so. It is - luckily for us - not corrosion at all. Aluminium WILL when exposed to the elements form a protective layer to "protect itself". This is from 2- in extrems 200 Microns thick and shows itself as a "white powder". Once this has taken place the process stops. The metal will the last without any more "corrosion" almost forever. Aluminium boats are made out of 6061 and hardly corrode at all - even in salt water.

The "corrosion" on the Sav is due to imperfect preparation of the surface and occurs mostly on joints. It Is unsightly but NOT detrimental, only cosmetic.

I think it is a storm in a teacup.

If one however pays for a perfect aircraft then that is what one should expect.

I used to work - on short trips - in Italy some years ago and can say that most used to drink Gianti and Lambrusco in their breaks. The job then talks for itself.

When all is said and done ti IS still a great Aircraft . Perfect Prep = perfect job. Regardless though they all fly just as well and will last just as long.

Fly safe

Walter