Jabiru ign. coils

Yenn

Does anyone know the Honda patr number for the ignition coils used in the Jab 2.2 engine?

One of mine is playing up and it comes apart into 3 pieces, main body and a soft iron core piece each side.

I replaced one coil, Inlet plugs, as it was not working. It started with a slight misfire and then a complete cutout.

The new coil also had a very slight misfire, but it came good with a full power run, so I flew the plane home from Old Station. In the air I tested the mags several times and there was minimal rev drop from either coil. When I landed I tested again and had a slight drop on the inlet mag. 2 days later I had the same slight misfire on the ground, but elected to take off and had no problems, but I still had perfect running in the air when testing the mags and again a misfire back on the ground. I could possibly be running rich as the plugs are a bit sooty and will get the gear to overhaul the carby. I will also swap the coils from left to right to see if the misfire follows the coil, or stays with the wiring and distributor.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem?

Distributor lead ends have a habbit of working out of the sockets if they have been inserted recently

Rotors can get loose and wobbly if the glue is not right

Plug terminals can unscrew and be loose

According to Jabiru, set plugs to minimum gap (.020 I think) Not what they come with in the box

Let us know what type of coils you use

Also any conclusions re the mixture (I expect its only idle mix thats rich)

Mine has developed rich mixture at startup, not been able to find the cause, float level correct and I have no fuel pumps to cause it.

Ralph

Guest Maj Millard

Yenn, Nice to meet you finally at Old Station and I'm glad you made it home safe. I'll probabily hook up with you at the next one ...cheers Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Ian Good to hear you got your little bird home safely. Interested to hear what happens when you swap the coils over. Regards Mick.

Good to meet you fellows at Old Station. The latest is that I have swapped over the coils and the miss is still there on the same side, so I can assume that both coils are OK. All terminals on the dizzy have been twisted, with no change.

The engine runs well once in the air, no trace of misfire at any revs from full throttle to idle. I can't see that it could be a fuel problem, because if it was it would misfire when I was doing 60kts and no throttle, that puts me at just about the attitude on the ground.

Time to put on the thinking cap.

Guest Maj Millard

Not a bit of carbon tracking in one of your dizzy caps Yenn ?.................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Andys@coffs

An old mechanic told me once that when you think you might have HT problems, run the motor at nightime without lighting and see what you can see. If there are failing leads or distributor caps etc you can often see tracking occuring at night time that you wouldnt see during the day. Of course goes without saying that a spinning propo at night in the dark might well be something you want to keep remebering....