Bed and Breakfast or Farmstays near Sydney

IanR

My wife and I have a kid free weekend coming up - we would like to fly to a B&B which either has its own airfield (preferably) or is close to one. One to two hours flying time from Sydney. Any suggestions ?

Guest Howard Hughes

Two hours in what type of aircraft? If it's the C210 in your avatar then you should be able to make it here in two hours. Plenty of B&B's close by.

PS: Kid free weekend? Ya lucky buggers!:thumb_up:

How about flying to Cessnock and staying at any of the Hunter Valley places? There is a motel on the airport but it isn't very flash and there are lots of other really nice accommodation options. There is a lot to do (or not do) in the Hunter.

Two hours in what type of aircraft? If it's the C210 in your avatar then you should be able to make it here in two hours. Plenty of B&B's close by.PS: Kid free weekend? Ya lucky buggers!:thumb_up:

Yeah - I should have been more specific. Unfortunately I don't have access to that 210 any more (lovely thing it was). More like 110 knots these days. Place looks interesting though

Thanks for the other suggestions - Middlebrook looks fantastic

Would be great if there was some sort of directory for these types of places

There is a real opportunity here for someone who has the time and energy to put together an on-line directory of all accommodation places and restaurants / cafes that are within walking distance of an airstrip, or have their own strip, or offer their own shuttle service. I for one would pay for access to such a directory.

2 years ago I attempted to research this information; I emailed all the B&B and Farmstay Associations in Australian and some of the portal websites - but no-one could or wanted to help provide anything useful.

So maybe it would come down to contacting local councils, or local aero-clubs, or local Visitors Info Centres, or even selected businesses, in every region of every State to get the local information. Would be a big task, but the results would be useful to many of us, I'm sure...

The AOPA Airfield directory has lots of information, although not specific for B&Bs, cafes etc.

Wasn't there a thread started ages and ages ago with suggsted places to fly with cafes/accommodation etc? A new one could be started, with people adding their favourite places.

I had a look through the forums before posting this one - there was a similar request related to southern states. Nothing for NSW. In my research I also found the AOPA Touring Guide which is great - bought it yesterday. Has lots of info but not all up to date.

I agree with Chris - an online directory would be great - but I guess the normal issues of keeping current. Maybe a forum section here broken up by state where people could just put up a post stating where they went and some of the details ? It would be easy to look through that.

Hi Ian

A few places that interest me an hour or so nth of Sydney are Old Bar (contact Manning Aero Club) on the coast near Taree. The strip is literally 5 min walk from beach, caravan park, town etc etc.

For a more countly feel, Gloucester is beautiful (up the VFR lane before Taree) . Try http://www.gloucesteronavon-bb.com.au/index.html . This is on the same road as the the airstrip road comes off (Jacks Rd). Airstrip is SW of B&B, to the right of a 'D' shaped dam if you look at Google maps. Looks like maybe 1.5-2 km away.

Haven't yet flown into either of these places- but have relatives in both so will whien I get my XC.

Chris 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Gday Ian.. my brother owns a B&B at Blackheath in the Blue Mountains.

It,s only about 10 mins from Katoomba Airfield (YKAT) CFI lives on site and you can call a cab to take you up the road.

Harrow Cottage

http://www.harrowcottages.com/

or

The Chalet.

http://www.chaletbluemountains.com.au/

which is about 3 km up the road from the airfield