Recording of flights

Some of the flight videos being posted on this site are top quality and reflect brilliantly the appeal of this great sport of ours.

What cameras, mounts do you use, where do you mount the cameras and what software do you use to edit/compile the videos for keeping/presentation.

Many of you have made passing reference to this but it seems about time we had a good discussion and got the information in one spot so all of the rest of us can learn from your expertise and "have a go".

If any one knows a good 'How to..." please list it.

Cheers

Maynard

Hey Robinsm,

I'm by no means one of the experts...! But just for the interest of others

My last few videos have been from my Sony HDR Camera, CX-350VE to be precise. I like it because it's got a large solid state hard drive, and you can also us SD cards. It's the size of my hand, has full image stabilisation, and wide screen high definition. Also can do really nice still photos too. Plus it has a GPS in it that I can track the flight or whatever with.

I have used vairous mounts, if I have a passenger they are the mount from time to time! Depending how good they are at videoing as how to good you get the image.... but at this stage I have made a mount for the Jabiru series aircraft that mounts between the seats just behind the pilots head. It can fit any camera. It's basically a L shape with clamp one end and a spot to screw the camera to it on the other...

I want to get a suction holder to try on other aircraft such as the low wing. I'm not sure if I'm game to put this camera out side the aircraft... it's a pretty expensive piece of gear.

You've probably all see these.. but here area a few from said camera.

This is a human mount :big_grin: Unfortunately he didn't get my landing as he was feeling a bit sick! He wasn't used to the enclosed cockpit having mostly flown in drifters he thinks. Aircraft is a Pioneer Hawk

So there are a few different variations I have done, I have only recently got my new camera so haven't many videos from it yet, but am working on it!

As for editing programs, we run Mac systems, which I've found a lot easier for video and photo work. So most times just use iMovie, which is pretty good for what I like doing. I don't really know what to recommend for windows, as all the ones I've used on my windows computer I can't stand using... 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif But I know there certainly are good programs out there for them. (I would hope!)

Video editing isn't just a five minute job either... expect to spend a few hours on a video if you want it to look and flow nicely. And computer systems need to be up to it too. HD video is much larger file size too, which you need to remember if uploading hours to your computer... I have a 500gb hard drive in my laptop, but usually use my external drives for video storage as you can fill your computer up fast if you're not careful.

Hope that helps, and I'm by no means an expert, I just enjoy playing around with it...

Hey Maynard,

Tomo has some awesome stuff there. One thing to look at if you want to dabble with external cameras are these little rippers from China:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Micro-4GB-Spy-Key-chain-web-Camera-1280x960-video-SW013-/280683914672?pt=AU_Gadgets&hash=item415a10a5b0

Not expensive, and because of their low profile, easy to stick to the outside of the aircraft with some gaffer's tape. They do have some disadvantages, but for the price they're great fun!

I used one similar to the one above for all of the external shots for this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZHCV5BLpks

The internal shots were my little Casio compact camera. I like this one because it has a CCD sensor, which renders the propeller in a more natural way. The CMOS sensors generally have a 'rolling shutter' and can cause strange stroboscopic effects like this:

I mostly just use Windows Movie Maker for editing. It's pretty simple to learn. I also have Sony Vegas which has many different features, but has trouble with .AVIs for some reason. Am a bit disappointed in that.

Have fun!

Anyone here tried an Nflightcam? Claimed to eliminate the weird prop warping effect amongst other things, not super cheap but then it's all relative I guess.

Looks interesting, Gnu! I'd seen the Contour, but not this variant. Looks very promising!

If I only had more play money! 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Great videos and really great camera links. Thanks very much. I now have enough ideas to give me headaches:big_grin: (but pleasantly). Will publish on this forum when I get it going. Thanks again

Maynard

• 1 month later...