Aerochute additions

I'm interested to find out what additions or cosmetic changes (N.B. not modifications) have been made to your Aerochute? I am interested, in particular, in the location of the ignition switches. (I actually think they would be better placed - with the electric starter switch above the PIC on the top plate)

To get the ball rolling - all I have really done is add a "net" - made from a fine fishing line - running from the top of the line guard down to the top of the seat back, and across between the line guard main support bars, to stop a very expensive 'chute falling on top of a very hot exhaust in very still conditions. It (the 'chute landing over the Aerochute) occurred to me once and while I was able to reach up and behind and stop all but one steering line from melting, I wanted to take that worry away for good.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Sorry I cannot add to your list. My Aerochute is factory standard and I have not really had any problems. When I land I always fly my wing to one side or the other before I stop moving. Have had no real problems with the kill switches either. I have heard of a number of mods done like brakes and front wheel steering but have never felt the need for any of them for me. Sorry I could not be of any help just thought I would say hello. Not manyPPC pilots on this forum.

John

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

There is no harm with the net mod you've made as I too have had the chute come straight down on the machine twice now (out of over 200 landings). As for the rest I agree with John. Steering is not necessary as we do not taxi but if necessary you can steer with the chute on your landing and take off roll. Brakes will cause the chute to fall on or in front of the machine, your choice of a landing area should not require brakes as our landing roll is very slow and short if needed. I have an electric start which is located with the switches in the standard position, as I switch off with my right hand I have my left hand on the left control lines to bring the chute down on the left side. If you want to make ANY changes to the set up etc of the machine I suggest you contact Aerochute Industries FIRST so as to not jeopardise your "Factory Built" rego or you might find yourself having to go "19" experimental which of course is an option.

Hi Peter,Sorry I cannot add to your list. My Aerochute is factory standard and I have not really had any problems. When I land I always fly my wing to one side or the other before I stop moving. Have had no real problems with the kill switches either. I have heard of a number of mods done like brakes and front wheel steering but have never felt the need for any of them for me. Sorry I could not be of any help just thought I would say hello. Not manyPPC pilots on this forum.

John

Hi John,

I have once (in about 250 flights) caught one of the switches and accidentally turned off half the ignition - scared me when the performance suddenly dropped. :yikes:I was about 2000' above the field so decided to immediately do an "engine out" landing - I reached down and killed the switches to realise (too late) that I had only turned one off. (At this time the aerochute was pull start - I have sice gone to electric start) Great landing and all ok, but I'd like to see about either putting the swiches in a place where you can see what they are doing, and yet be out of the way from accidental bumpings etc. The electric starter button would be better placed up on the top plate too (IMHO) as your hands are up there when you start up, and cutting down the time from start to putting your hands back in the toggles is a good thing.

Peter

Hi Peter,There is no harm with the net mod you've made as I too have had the chute come straight down on the machine twice now (out of over 200 landings). As for the rest I agree with John. Steering is not necessary as we do not taxi but if necessary you can steer with the chute on your landing and take off roll. Brakes will cause the chute to fall on or in front of the machine, your choice of a landing area should not require brakes as our landing roll is very slow and short if needed. I have an electric start which is located with the switches in the standard position, as I switch off with my right hand I have my left hand on the left control lines to bring the chute down on the left side. If you want to make ANY changes to the set up etc of the machine I suggest you contact Aerochute Industries FIRST so as to not jeopardise your "Factory Built" rego or you might find yourself having to go "19" experimental which of course is an option.

Hi Mike,

Thanks, but I'm not intending to make any changes to the machine which would jeopardise the "Factory Built" registration, but at every fly in I attend I get to see some very clever ideas, even very simple ones, that someone has thought through because of a situation or experience that they've had. I just thought I'd try to get some discussion going here at this "virtual fly in".

I agree with John that the PPC pilots are few and far between, so a bit of discussion might make this a good online site to have a natter and promote PPCs as being a fun, safe, recreational AC.

Peter

Well guy's I will not pretend to have the experience you both have but as for promoting the Aerochute I am all for it. I do recall a couple of times when I was learning that I had somehow knocked one of the kill switches into the off position during take-off. I have know idea how I did it and did not really notice any difference to performance. Once I was off the ground and comfortable I do a look around of the machine to make sure everything is ok. Found the switch in the off position and just switched it back on. It is one of the first things I check now after take off but have never had a problem since.

I have always been fairly open minded but have found that most fixed wing boys (and girls) tend to look down their noses at PPC's and the like. It is not untill they actually get their bums in the seat do they really appreciate what we take for granted and that does not happen very often. Sure their flying style is not for everyone but most dismiss them out of hand as dangerous or whatever without having any real knowledge. I have never been one to try and change peoples minds so they can believe what they want but am quite happy to hand on factual information from my point of view if anyone asks.

Some great weather for flying is comming up and everything is green over here so I'm hoping for lots more flying. As for being at 2000ft, well Peter I have not been that high for quite some time, too cold for me. Good flying boys and do it safe as always.

John

Yeah Guys, happened to me early days also, don't know how but one switch was off. Went to turn it back on but inadvertantly turned the other off and the revs started to drop real quick but I flicked it back on and she started running again then turned the other on. Lucky cause I only had the pull start at the time, Lesson Learnt.

John you will always get an us and them attitude out there from some, RAA sometimes get it from GA etc. But it has got a lot better in the past couple of years. With exposure to our machines most Pilots are curious enough to ask questions and you can always offer them a flight. If there is a Fly-In close by take the Aerochute and have a fly, you'll get questions. Of course, be a good ambasador, be a good pilot.

• Like 1

John & Mike,

I agree there is some "attitude" out there, and so I have tried to expose the Aerochute in a good light as much as possible - either by being as helpful as I can, (at the Avalon Airshow for example - I have displayed [static] my Aerochute and answered heaps of questions of both public and pilots alike for the last 3 shows) or at a flyin by flying safely and as smoothly as possible with a passenger. Either way I hope that I have helped change one or two pre-conceived ideas.

Mike, I can imagine that with you flying both flexible and fixed wing AC, it would prompt a lot of questions from other fixed wing pilots out there.

I'm always up for a flyin - let me know if you're ever looking for another Aerochute to "boost the ranks"!

Peter

Hey Winsor.

have to be an insider to get that comment. He would get shut down real quick if he carried on on this forum.

I'll try to find the closest Aerochute to Mackay for you to check out. By the way congrats on the Group A, I know you like the Savannah, had another fly in a new XL the other day (factory built) and it was So Comfortable and more room than the VG. I think i've found the type I will own one day, till then wet at $120 p/hr will do.

• Like 1

Ahhhhh Winsor, still scratching yourself over the PPC's? Do not let the little frog put you off. How would you know who was sane if there was not insane people to show them up. Bring your daughter (I am assuming) over here in your boring old fixed wing so she can play with my daughter and I will take you up for a rip. Do not expect a lot of altitude.......just a lot of fun. 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

John

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

G'day, When I got my old aerochute (yes 32 rego) it had just been worked on by the Conte's (aerochute factory) and at the time its kill switches were on the head plate to the side. They never told the previous owner to place them back to the original position but like others have said being 32 rego its best to check with the manufacturer on any changes made.

There are pros and cons with moving your switches.

Having used them in the standard position and on the head plate I like having them on the left hand side high and reachable to the pull start and chokes. Easy to shut down during warm up should something go pear shape. Ive never bumped them up there or had a passenger knock them to the off position in flight.

When I first got my old bucket of bolts the hard part was getting use to where to find them on landing. Being trained and use to having them on the right and low that's the first place Id go looking when trying to shut down in a hurry on landing. It didn't take long to master where to find them and now I wouldn't want them anywhere else. No risk of hitting the throttle by stepping over or reaching across the front of the machine to shutdown after warm up.

The other side of the coin is when I jump in Robyn's standard aerochute Im now looking up for the kill switches on landing lol.

Hope this helps and gives you something to think about, Kevin.

Switches.thumb.JPG.eec2a3938a15cb0cd15cfdf854da9174.JPG

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
I'm interested to find out what additions or cosmetic changes (N.B. not modifications) have been made to your Aerochute? I am interested, in particular, in the location of the ignition switches. (I actually think they would be better placed - with the electric starter switch above the PIC on the top plate)To get the ball rolling - all I have really done is add a "net" - made from a fine fishing line - running from the top of the line guard down to the top of the seat back, and across between the line guard main support bars, to stop a very expensive 'chute falling on top of a very hot exhaust in very still conditions. It (the 'chute landing over the Aerochute) occurred to me once and while I was able to reach up and behind and stop all but one steering line from melting, I wanted to take that worry away for good.

Peter

Hi...I just joined this forum as I just bough an Aerochute. Do you know of any fly in happening?

Cheers