Hardware supplied by Jabiru Pty Ltd

old man emu

With regard to this issue, engines overhauled must now use the new 3/8” nuts

(shaped in 12 points) instead of the previous MS21042-type nuts.

Recently the company I work for received some locknuts from Jabiru which, according to the Release Note were MS21042-type nuts. However, a glance told me that they were MS21044-type nuts.

What's the difference?

Well, the 042-type is a solid metal nut suitable for use forward of the firewall (that is, in high temperature areas), whereas the 044-type nuts have a nylon insert that caues the nut to self lock. These nuts cannot be used forward of the firewall (in high temperature areas) as the nylon will melt and the will come undone.

A possible reason for the issue of incorrect parts was that the regualr Spare Parts man was on holidays and his stand-in may not have had the experience to discern between the various types of hardware.

The crunch however comes down to the person using the hardware. So, before you use a nut, bolt, clevis pin or washer, you should confirm its suitability for the job.

Old Man Emu

Guest DonC
With regard to this issue, engines overhauled must now use the new 3/8” nuts(shaped in 12 points) instead of the previous MS21042-type nuts.

Recently the company I work for received some locknuts from Jabiru which, according to the Release Note were MS21042-type nuts. However, a glance told me that they were MS21044-type nuts.

What's the difference?

Well, the 042-type is a solid metal nut suitable for use forward of the firewall (that is, in high temperature areas), whereas the 044-type nuts have a nylon insert that caues the nut to self lock. These nuts cannot be used forward of the firewall (in high temperature areas) as the nylon will melt and the will come undone.

A possible reason for the issue of incorrect parts was that the regualr Spare Parts man was on holidays and his stand-in may not have had the experience to discern between the various types of hardware.

The crunch however coe down to the person using the hardware. So, before you use a nut, bolt, clevis pin or washer, you should confirm its suitability for the job.

Old Man Emu

• 4 weeks later...

A client recently came in to purchase some new AN4 bolts to secure his propellor. We found that the threads of the bolt were badly damaged, so asked him to show us the nyloc nut used with the bolt. The thread in the nut was just about stripped.

Closer examination of the nut revealed that the cut of the thread was very poor. We contacted Jabiru to find out their source for these bolts and were told that they were obtained from Blackwoods.

So if you are happy to use non-aviation grade nuts on your Jabiru, keep getting them from Jabiru.

What's the price difference between non-aviation and aviation grade nuts? Probably no more than 50 cents per item. What's the price you put on the safety of your aircraft, yourself and your passenger?

Old Man Emu

What we are finding is that the bolts used are good AN bolts, but the nuts are NUTS.

I don't like dissing Jabs, but I think they company is being penny wise and pound foolish by trying to save money here. After all, what's using quality hardware going to add to the price of the aircraft? Probaly not more than $10 - $20.

OME

NUTS = Not up to standard