Aircraft Hire - Broome (WA) area

Tomo

Hey I'm just putting my feelers out there... are there any places where I could hire an aircraft in the Kimberley region?

RAA or GA, doesn't really matter.

Hey Tomo,

There aren't any schools up that way so you haven't really got any choice of factory builts. You'll most likely have to find a forum member/raa flyer to lend you there A/C if you wanna fly RAA.

I don't know of a GA flying school in Broome, I think there was one at some stage but it closed.

I think your best bet is finding someone generous enough to loan you their aircraft.

-Andrew

Do you mean Broome or the Kimberley? There are a few operators at Kununurra, some better than others.

Broome is easier, in that commercial flights go there direct. But the end outcome would be to fly around the Kimberleys. If there wasn't any I would just fly over when I do decide on the trip, but was thinking it would work out a lot more reasonable if it was possible to start from a place like Broome. Just chucking thoughts around at the moment.

I think there used to be a place that did it call Cable Beach Air, but I can't seem to work out if they're still up and running or not.

Hey Tomo, I live in Kununuura and there are no aircraft available to hire here that I have been able to locate in the past three + years. A few private aircraft but the owners do not hire them out. My aircraft is currently over in our hangar in Bundy.

Cheers

• 6 months later...

G'day Alex!

I didn't actually go through with anything as work turned up in force so didn't get a chance to get away like I had hoped too.

Would be a great thing to do sometime though

The RACWA is a very friendly mob with heaps of aeroplanes and they would likely know of any local chances to hire up north as well. I used to rent from Tropicair in Carnarvon half a lifetime ago and I think there is a school in Karratha now as well.

Let's know if you have any luck because I am having trouble working out a direct route for my own trip up there that my very limited range can accommodate.

kaz

I searched everything. My first intension was to rent a bird like mine (C177RG) in derby at bushpilots. First they practically confirmed to hire their C177RG to me, but then they never answered my detailed questions. Even when i called them, they didnd gave me any informations. Its a bid stupid, they could just say : "No, because...." ! But they didnt.

So i have to hire at darwin flying school, they are really friendly guys, but in that case i have a lot of hours to fly and only with a piper, which isnt so nice for picture taking as a cessna. Anyway, better than nothing! But i will ask RAGWA as well, maybe they have anothe ridea... ALEX

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Tomo!

How are you? The idea with RAGWA didnt work, so i will try to get a plane at darwin flying school. Now im working out my validation for the australian licence...wow..its a lot of paperwork!!! And I want to prepare my check-ride an the trip, which will take me 4-5 days. As i dont want to buy all the aip´s of australia´s airfield as i only need three of them, may i ask you to send me the vfr-arrival charts for darwin, kununurra and derby by email? and if it would be possible for you, to make a pic of the vfr chart 1:500.000 just for the area of darwin, it would great, so i could prepare my checkride. To learn about the airspaces over there, because when i arrive in darwin to hire the plane i dont have very much time for learning the specs of the airspaces of darwin, even i would be a little tired....(and i promise you, i wont use it for navigation....)) Hope you (or another pilot?) can help me....))?

Have a nice post-easten celebrations.....

Alex

Hey Tomo, I live in Kununuura and there are no aircraft available to hire here that I have been able to locate in the past three + years. A few private aircraft but the owners do not hire them out. My aircraft is currently over in our hangar in Bundy.Cheers

Hi Mike!

Maybe you followed these postings. I am an overseas pilot who will fly this year in the kimberlys. As you live in kununurra may i ask you for a little help as i need to know more about how best way to fly in the kimberlys. Maybe you can help me? My plan is to fly from darwin with a PA28 (there was no chance to get any plane in the kimberlys) to kununurra, take fuel and fly to mitchell plateau. Here is my first problem: how we can get from airstrip to the campground? (I cannot walk 20km...). And second problem: for a flight from kununurra via mitchell falls to derby the endurance of the PA28 dont match my safety-requirements. As there is probably no chance to take fuel at mitchell (?), my idea is to carry 2 empty jerrycans each 20l with me and fuel them in kununurra. My qustion is: should that be possible at the airfield? And maybe you like to meet me? I could invite you for a (in germany we say) landing-beer))))). I will be there three times: 11th, 14th and 24th july.......)))

Have a nice day and would be great to hear from you!

Alexander