New RA-Aus school at Archerfield

This is not an advert and I have no connection with this school what so ever.

Mod if you are not happy please remove.

A new RA school is operating a brand new Jab 170 out of Archerfield. Something we have needed here in the south of Brissy for some time as we really do not have much in the way of RA in this neck of the woods.

Will be test driving the Jabbi later this week or next.

• Like 1

Hi Dave - thanks for the heads up yesterday. I took a drive down there and lo and behold a "numbers" registered Jab parked on the apron at Archerfield. I had a chat to a very pleasant bloke behind the counter and was taken to crawl all over the Jab. My primary focus is on cross-qualifying to regain my long dormant PPL, they are only RA at the moment but are associated with a GA school there and are able to get me up to speed on controlled airspace operations before I start shelling out the big bucks for a GA aircraft. I've booked an hour for this afternoon, looking forward to remaking my acquaintance with a Jab, last one I flew was nearly 20 years ago, I suspect they have moved on a little since then:cheezy grin:. I'll report back later. As you say this is going to be a big plus for RA in and around Brisbane, this way i can sneak in an hour after work, minor detour on the way home.

http://pathfinderaviation.com.au/

• Like 1

Like everything else with RA-Aus, via exemption from CASA. Give them a ring or drop in shags, nice bunch of people - and they have a relationship with the Flight One crowd who you asked about in another thread. Office is in the terminal building, off the lounge area on the right. Jab had a grand total of 28.1 hours on the Hobbs this afternoon:thumb_up:.

I had a great afternoon, managed not to get too tongue tied over the unfamiliar radio calls and quickly came to terms with the Jab. Out to the bay to do some stalls and turns of various sorts then back up the Logan River at low level - great fun and a good learning experience trying to keep the ball within bounds whilst switching from turn left straight into turn right and back again.... I was impressed and will be going back, everything else aside it is a huge help being able to get there before or after work.

Did I miss something in my absence? How can we train at archerfield?

There is a way to get some sort of exemption to do solo training in CTA, although the school needs to jump through a whole bunch of hoops and pay a substantial fee for the privilege.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that an exemption can be obtained to fly in CTA under the RA-Aus. I note that a similar thing exists at Coffs harbour. I find it interesting (as previously stated) that if the club pays a fee, an exemption may be granted. Other posts have sited the reason behind not allowing RA-Aus to fly into or transit CTA is the possibility of the pilot having an infarct or a stroke..(without the benefit of a PPL or higher medical)....... I might just pay the fee........apparently it will stop me having a heart attack or stroke hey.

• Like 1

Not quite so simple - I cannot speak for all airports, but in the case of Pathfinder at Archerfield, you as an RA-Aus pilot still require a class 2 medical to be able to fly solo under their exemption. In a way it is pointing the way a possible RA endorsement could work,ie. medical + training + currency