My First Lesson

I just wanted to share the excitement of my first lesson. I've chosen John Walmsley from Coominya Flight Training to be my CFI. He is really friendly and knows his stuff. We started with about half an hour of theory going threw some basics which was good and he was impressed with how much I already knew, thanks to the past year and a half of reading everything I could get my hands on and the wonderful, thought provoking threads on this forum. Today's lesson was straight AND level. Knowing the theory and having the stick in your hand are two very different things. After I got the hang of the gentle touch we started with some 30* turns. The first few where a bit messy and I kept overshooting the mark on the angle and heading, and the difference between turning left and right was confusing aswell but by the end I was flying the aircraft almost like a pilot. I've booked in my next few lessons already and look forward to working hard towards my Pilots Certificate and beyond.

Chris Kent.

• Like 1

Well done Chris on taking the first step. Exciting isn't it! Finally, it's actually you that has that control column in your hand and you're the one controlling the plane. Good luck in your journey of learning.

Peter

Good stuff, mate. The first step is always the most exciting - you actually don't come down from the high for days. May you go from strength to strength.

Just wait till the first takeoff, now that is great fun.

Agreed! It is an awesome moment when you line up on the runway and your instructor says "Your aircraft..." for the first time!

Keep up the good work, and let us know how you go. :thumb_up:

Thanks Everyone for your support. This site is such an invaluable resource that this afternoon I joined the "First Class" club. I now have the money for lessons and textbooks so why not help Ian and the Team at Recreationalflying to support other would-be pilots like myself. Don: my cfi said he'll go over Straight & Level again in the rough stuff when I've progressed a bit. There was hardly any turbulence thismorning. Pete:Next week I'm doing Thursday morning so I can go to Bundy but the week after ive booked Sunday and will probably keep going each Sunday morning.

Today i went up for my second lesson, before i left home i checked the weather radar which showed that a morning storm had gone past but was all clear behind it. On my way i called Amberly weather which said 9700 overcast but no rain and calm wind. After the prestart we fired it up and started to taxi just as it started to rain... It was really light but we put the plane back in the hangar to wait it out.

We ended up waiting 2 hours for it to clear and by then a nice cross wind had picked-up so we used the 400m cross-strip. We done more work on S&L and 30* turns which was alot harder this time because we were getting blowen around and there was some rough turbulance. Tracking towards landmarks was really fun with the crosswind. Into the wind the GPS was showing 40kn ground speed while the ASI was showing 80kn.

Also while we were waiting i passed my first test on flight radio then proceded to forget the "...Traffic" on my taxi call.

Chris Kent.