WHERE DO YOU LOCATE YOUR PLB?

Guernsey

Now that we all (2 seat aircraft) are required to carry a PLB, where exactly do you locate yours?

Some keep it in the side pocket on the aircraft door, others on the rear parcel shelf, others clipped to their flying jacket so that if you are thrown from the aircraft on impact you don't have to return to the aircraft which may be on fire. If you do attach it to yourself, exactly how do you do it.

This question may have been asked on a previous thread but I don't know how to find it.

Alan.

Now that we all (2 seat aircraft) are required to carry a PLB, where exactly do you locate yours?Some keep it in the side pocket on the aircraft door, others on the rear parcel shelf, others clipped to their flying jacket so that if you are thrown from the aircraft on impact you don't have to return to the aircraft which may be on fire. If you do attach it to yourself, exactly how do you do it.

This question may have been asked on a previous thread but I don't know how to find it.

Alan.

I keep mine in a go-bag which contains the basics I need whenever I fly... charts, aerodrome info for former GAAP aerodromes, logbook, pocket compass, basic tools, matches, pocket knife, ASIC and licence. The PLB sits in a slot in the bag where I can grab it if needed.

kaz

Guest iPilot

Flying over water, it's attached to the lifejacket and tethered to it securely. For any over land flights it's by my right side next to the seat. Easy access.

Guest davidh10

I wear it on a strap around my thigh, along with my navigation timer. The lanyard is looped through the belt so that even after pulling it out of the pouch, it is tethered to me.

I do think about it from time to time, but haven't come up with a better solution yet. I figure you need to be able to get it out and trigger it one handed, although depending on the nature of the emergency you may not have one hand free. Ideally, you would trigger it early in the emergency, as they take about 30 seconds to activate and it may be impossible if you were imobilized.

I store mine in my flight bag on top of everything else so that when I'm getting out all the necessaries pre-flight, the PLB comes out first and goes around my neck - or around my beloved's neck if she's coming with me.