OSHKOSH 2012

old man emu

I've just been given approval by the Minister for Domestic Finance to go to Oshkosk next year!

I'll be going with a few fellows from work and will be setting up camp on the airport. Time to get my visa and EAA membership up to date, and start looking for cheap airfares.

Who else is going?

Old Man Emu

More a homeland security thing. What also comes with the ESTA is that a condition of recieving it one gives up all right to contest if they don't like your looks when you arrive. There is also a eye and finger print done on entry. If you don't want to do the x ray scan they will do a search in private. 30 seconds vs 1 hour. your choice. Just play the game and it goes smooth. i found a real change of atttitude between my 08 and 11 visits.

I think that applying for and getting a visa on line is a good thing, and worth the $14 they are asking. It is such a hassle to have to go to a Consulate to get a visa. The only problem is that I can't apply for it right now as you have to put in the details of teh flight you are arriving on, and I haven't booked the flight yet.

I do agree that giving up the right to contest a decision at the airport is a bit of a principle to give up, but if they don't like my looks and want to send me home, then the US isn't the Land of the Free anymore.

I think that applying for and getting a visa on line is a good thing, and worth the $14 they are asking. It is such a hassle to have to go to a Consulate to get a visa.

Dude that is the whole point. The US signed a visa waiver agreement - for short trips Australian passport holders don't need a visa to visit the USA and vice versa. Now they have reneged on their end of the agreement and demand this pseudo-visa. In addition it only lasts a couple of years (their proper visa's used to be for 10 years typically) and it's time consuming to lodge online for a number of people such as a family.

I am quite pro-American but this irritates me.

You also need an electronic travel authorisation to enter Australia, even if you are an American. It's not that big of a hassle, although it would be nice if their border guards would smile, instead of treating you, even if you are traveling with a wife, and two little kids, like a definite terrorist.

Yes. Back to topic. Let's avoid discussing the idiosyncracies of our American cousins. The idea of this thread was to have a place to toss around ideas to help people plan for that great pilgrimmage. Now we know that we have to apply for a visa online. Let's keep an eye out for cheap airfares and accomodation.

OME

I think that applying for and getting a visa on line is a good thing, and worth the $14 they are asking. It is such a hassle to have to go to a Consulate to get a visa. The only problem is that I can't apply for it right now as you have to put in the details of teh flight you are arriving on, and I haven't booked the flight yet.Hi OME

I just applied for a ESTA and got it without putting in the flight details.

They are optional when you apply online.

Going over for work in Feb.

cheers

Bruce

So how do you go about camping on site? Do you buy the equipment, hire it or simply crash on a park bench with newspapers over?

I was in a nearby state during Oshkosh this year and would have loved to have gone there but the travel hassles such as lack of accommodation, local flights and rental cars plus crazy prices for same put me off. Had enough of that in the area I was in, things get so busy during their vacation period. You need to book way ahead and re-confirm everything prior apparently.

OK. Our basic plan is this.

1. Confirm EAA membership

2. Purchase ticket to attend for a week.

3. Book camping site.

4. Arrive at the city of Oshkosh and go to Walmart.

5. Purchase tent, sleeping bag, blow up doll mattress.

We will pick up a hire car at O'Hare International.

OME

Pretty much how i do it. Easy drive 2.5 hr. I found Dollar car rental cheapest. Got a good size Dodge that came in handy when the rain came. Consider arriving a day or two earlier. Get sorted and then watch the mass arrivals and wander around before the masses .

It may seem unnecessary to suggest it, but make sure you have good travel insurance! One trip to the doctor, an x-ray, and some complementary antibiotics cost me about $500, which I could then recoup from my insurer. Get run over by a run away B17 and you could be up for zillions in hospital bills over there.

If you have access to a corporate plan somehow, it's worth picking up Qantas Club membership for the long journey, plus you get extra baggage and access to American Airlines Lounges.

• 3 weeks later...
It may seem unnecessary to suggest it, but make sure you have good travel insurance! One trip to the doctor, an x-ray, and some complementary antibiotics cost me about $500, which I could then recoup from my insurer. Get run over by a run away B17 and you could be up for zillions in hospital bills over there.

Good advice. Be very careful about what your travel insurance provides and what it doesn't.

You do NOT want to get caught up in the US healthcare system if you get run over by a bus or trip somewhere and break your ankle, without very solid insurance cover and to do so could really wreck your trip to Oshkosh. Take it from me. My wife has worked in it as a doctor. It is not pretty, even sometimes for the locals who do have insurance! Just another box to tick before you leave.......

Also:

1) The ESTA is easy. Way easier than getting a Visa (trust me on this - my job requires a US Visa and I'm seriously glad it's only renewed every 5 years).

2) Be very generous with your time at US airports. Getting through the queues at the TSA checkpoints is often not easy! Of course all the major domestic airports have airside bars, diners and so on. Allowing that extra hour is no big deal.

Travel insurance will only cover you for airline type travel only, if you plan to fly in private aircraft and that includes the EAA aircraft (B17 and trimotor etc) you will not be covered if you are involved in an accident and you must sign the waiver to fly in them. I just took that risk.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Garry Love

I plan on going to Oshkosh 2012. Traveling with friends ex BNE and picking up an RV from CruiseAmerica either from Chicago or Milwaukee. It gets pretty hot of a daytime so I figure it would be nice to come back to A/C comfort and a cold Bud Light. That way we don't miss out on the fun of being on site but with just a little bit more comfort and privacy.

The only real undecided issues are where to from Oshkosh to continue our great aviation pilgrimage, have done Seattle and the Museum of Flight etc.

I plan on going to Oshkosh 2012. Traveling with friends ex BNE and picking up an RV from CruiseAmerica either from Chicago or Milwaukee. It gets pretty hot of a daytime so I figure it would be nice to come back to A/C comfort and a cold Bud Light. That way we don't miss out on the fun of being on site but with just a little bit more comfort and privacy.The only real undecided issues are where to from Oshkosh to continue our great aviation pilgrimage, have done Seattle and the Museum of Flight etc.

Florida?

Kennedy Space Centre? Fantasy of Flight Museum (Kermit Weeks)? Both are easily accessible from an Orlando base.