Arrggghhh who's been using my rego!

Guest brentc

Guest brentc

The joys of GA. Someone has racked up some hefty Avdata bills using my rego! Somehow one single charge alone is $11 at Cooma for February 4th for parking.

Any suggestions PaulN, that's your neck of the woods ain't it? Where were YOU on February 4th?!

Guest brentc

That's interesting, didn't realise you were up that way. How observant of me.

It's got 45am on the invoice so I wonder what it's actually for. Oh well, I'll give them a call. They might not believe so many are not me. Might have to fax a copy of my logbook if they complain.

• 2 weeks later...

How legal is Avadata?

I have received regular bills via avdata, and I have paid because, well, $10 to $11 for an ultralight is fair enough, and it would be unfair of me to shirk my responsibility. But if I received erroneous bills, surely the boot is on the other foot. It would cost them more to prove it and extract their charge through the courts than the value of the bill !

When it comes right down to it, what is the legal status of the bills sent to us by Avdata ? If you don't agree, and don't pay, what is the worst they can do?

Jack.

Guest brentc

True I guess. You could just deny that you were there, however if it happened on a semi-regular basis they might have a genuine complaint.

At Moorabbin for example they drive around (or look at the cameras) and if they spot your plane there on the day they bill you. It's around $6 a day for airfield usage, however it's a $15 a month minimum so if you only use it once in a month you get ripped.

They might get smart like the Police and traffic / parking officers do and take a photo of your aircraft on the day. Most parking officers in Melbourne now carry a camera to take a shot of the car dash if there's supposed to be a ticket displayed and the car in the position with the sign in sight if available. I recently saw a traffic Cop taking a photo of the car he had pulled over. They didn't have a mini bike rack plate on their bike rack and there were a couple of bikes being carried. Tricky stuff.