Question about PAX endorsement and T&Gs

Suitman

It should be noted that my concern relates more to taildraggers, not the "conventional" tricycle U/C and I have specified the conditions, (significant X-winds). Some pilots don't fly when the winds are up. (It's good to know your own limitiaions.) I don't blame any pilot for picking the conditions the (s)he chooses to operate in. Sometimes however you can get into these conditions inadvertently.

Recovery from a bounced landing can be a difficult manoeuver to execute safely and (usually) doesn't get practiced. Perhaps it should be. (thinking aloud). Nev

Recovery from a bounced landing can be a difficult manoeuver to execute safely and (usually) doesn't get practiced. Perhaps it should be. (thinking aloud). Nev

Something like this? Though it was terrain induced... I reckon it was a well controlled recovery considering the circumstances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XuMylC7gSc

Guest Andys@coffs

Good thing the grass and ground was as soft as it was....An Australian airfield may have been a bit unforgiving with that sideways taxi maneuvour . I cant work out why the extreme bounce, why jump it to 10 ft when a couple would hav been sufficient to get over the blacktop... the elevator was in climb position before the leap via ramp into the air and stayed that way the whole way across and down.....

Still I can remember landing a trike beside the murray in what I though at the time was a flat paddock only to find that there was an irrigation ditch (dry) in the middle that was at least 1.5ft deep. I was on the ground and zipped across it as though it wasnt there luckly due to the high speed I still had....another 30m up wind of touchdown down and I might seriously have embarrased myself. One of those times where heart rate and blood pressure went from resting rate to "Im going to die" rate in the 1.1mS between seeing it and being ontop of it.

I suspect the pilot might have taken his time with postflight checks and shutdown to get heart rate and breathing back towards normal

Andy

I reckon that taxi way put him in the air, probably caught him unawares and I think he did well to keep it only as high as he did. Good to see the damage only appeared minimal. Beautiful aircraft. I want one!

Guest rocketdriver

Noticed a big puff of black smoke on short final ..... over rich? Did he land shorter than originally intended due to an engine issue? I would have expected that he would not intentionally land before the taxi way ....

Looked at that a few times again. I think the surface launched him back into the air and he actually did a good job . Wouldn't want to see the brakes kept on any longer ( or harder). I think he knows what he is doing, which helps when you are flying a thing like that. Nev

• Like 1

For Powered Parachutes it (the difference) is quite significant. To "stop" - let the parachute come to rest on the ground - requires engine off before the chute lands, proper control of the chute to ensure it stays down, then you must get out of cockpit, set into wind, correct layout of the chute, (preflight check), startup, manoeuvre chute to take-off position, then go. (i.e. it is a separate flight) ... a touch and go - least two or all three wheels down, keeping parachute under control so that it is still in take-off position allowing for any cross-wind.