FlightAware - Use the web to follow flights fitted with the right Transponder

Dear Don

That is a good question and I am struggling to find a really valid answer, so here are a couple of attempts:

1 Because it is there.

2 Because you can ..... if you want.

3 It might be of interest to some on this forum.

4 I became aware of it thru an email from a mate in the US and was able to follow his flight in an SR22 the other day ...... so I know that he made it and most importantly ..... his wife knew when to start cooking the evening meal.

Hope this helps.

Regards Cap

Guest Fred Bear
pardon my ignorance.. But WHY????

I have been asked why I track aircraft live via ADSB and ACARS,Scanners etc etc and it always raises the issue of terrorism etc (thanks to a certain breed of people). The short and sweet answer? Because I get off on it (does not take much).But, seriously, there are heaps of aircraft enthusiasts out there (myself included) who love tracking aircraft on radar,maps etc,writing down regos,observing the flight overhead at high altitude etc etc. We all have hobbies I guess.Apart from that, there is the genuine and most obvious and that's people wanting to know if their loved one has arrived safe.If anyone is interested in flight tracking/monitoring please let me know and I would be happy to share some know how. I have been doing it for several years.I don't want to post such information where it may be accessed willy nilly for obvious reasons.

Guest Fred Bear

No problems.Glad some of your question was answered.I'm not too keen on the US airspace myself!LOL.:)

Guest Crash Lander

I bought myself a scanner just before the Avalon airshow, so I could listen to what was happening. Only getting it a few days before the event meant I wasn't proficient enough with it to hear all the channels I wanted to, so I dialled up the main tower and listened to that all day. You'd be surprised at what you can find out that the general public never hear about. For example, I learned that during the flight of the Super Constellation, they had trouble with engine number 2, so shut it down as a precaution. The other 3 a/c in that display were meant to do another pass, but the tower denied them permission, and brought them all back in. Did anyone notice the Connie only had 3 engines running when it landed and taxiied back on the Saturday show? ;-)

Anyway, went a little off tangent there, but I also listen to Melbourne Radar and Avalon, and all the main ones I can pick up from here. It's fun to follow them from channel to channel, and know exactly where they are at anytime.

Guest Crash Lander

Thanks. I reakon I have most of them. I've started a full spectrum scan from 1300mhz down, and have found some interesting stuff, like Melbourne ambulance (you'd be surprised how many ambulances actually get cancelled after they've been dispatched!) and Ballarat Police etc. I'm about 75% of the way through the scan. Obviously there will be stuff I'm missing because there's no transmission as I scan over the frequency, so several scans will be needed, but I have 8 or 9 frequencies programmed that are of interest to me. Mostly airband stuff. I can get my local field which is a good 45 minutes drive away which means the wife will be able to hear my radio calls and know when to expect me home!

The unit is a Yaesu 120D with a couple of rubber (read useless) antennas. I went to Jaycar and spent $7.05 on connections to hook the unit up to the tv antenna wall socket. It's not ideal, but makes the unit useable in our rather isolated part of the peninsula. Without the tv antenna, I get basicalloy nothing but the strongest of signals.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Fred Bear

Crashlander, delayed reaction responding to this one but for air band, yes, the tv antenna does work ok. I have done it before but now chose to go for the more 'professional' setup. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest Crash Lander
Crashlander, delayed reaction responding to this one but for air band, yes, the tv antenna does work ok. I have done it before but now chose to go for the more 'professional' setup. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

For what you do with your scanner, I can understand why.

For me, a guy who switches the scanner on when I get bored of the computer, the TV antenna is a perfect solution.:)

Guest Fred Bear

It is mate. For what I do with my scanner? Which one and which antenna?Might aswell add the satellite dishes.Emma says my hobby is 'out of control'. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Coax and antennas all over the place.:;)3:

Guest Crash Lander
It is mate. For what I do with my scanner? Which one and which antenna?Might aswell add the satellite dishes.Emma says my hobby is 'out of control'. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Coax and antennas all over the place.:;)3:

I meant the 24 hour feed for YSSY and surrounds. Sounds like my place computers wise until a few weeks ago. I had 6 towers and 2 boxes of assorted computer bits and pieces all under the computer desk. Left no room for my feet! Wife made me get rid of a lot of it, or get rid of her.

Needless to say, I slept on it for a night, and then decided to get rid of a few of the towers.;)