Training time.

Guest SAJabiruflyer
Does anyone know, on average how long it would take and what steps are involved to complete your ultralight licence, after you have done your first solo? Thanksmunners.

Hi Munners and welcome. There is no hard and fast rule - it's up to your CFI - when he or she is happy with your progression and skills to the point they beleive you are ready, you will do a Flight Test where you review many aspects of your training. Factors such as your ability, speed of learning, weather and so many others, will affect how long it takes. There is still much dual training to do after first solo, you should have a copy of the training syllabus, ask your instructor if you do not.

Get as much as you can out of your training, ask questions, read the manuals, study hard, and most of all have fun. You will find a wealth of experience on here to help you out, check out the Tutorials section too.

p.s I'm not an instructor. My comments are my own and not neccessarily correct. There are many instructors on here with great advice.

Fly safely

Brett

How long's a piece of string?

Not the most favourable answer for some, but really it would be up to the person, how fast they pick it up, how confident they are etc...

I've always been one not to dwell to much on the hours, otherwise it can disappoint you, or can disappoint others if they aren't picking it up as quick. Though for your sake I'll just say, for me, I went solo at 19 hours, and had my restricted RAA pilots certificate at 26, 27 hours. Then add another 10, 15 on for x country training etc... I am young, and was told I picked it up pretty fast - thanks to my country upbringing and being around machinery since I could walk.

It does also depend on the aircraft you're flying, Jabiru's, Drifter etc.., take a little longer to master, a good thing in my opinion as it teaches you properly. Whereas a C150, Tecnam, Savannah etc.., are rather easy to manage and people have gone solo much earlier.

Once again depends on - weather, your character, and how fast you naturally pick it up.

I'm no instructor, but these are just some of my thoughts, hope it helps.

• Like 1

For me In a J-160 it took 15hr to solo and i had over 40hrs when i got my pilot cert and that didn't include andy cross country etc.

At the flying school i went to the average hrs for pilot cert is between 40 & 50hrs so i guess solo is less than half way.

My realisation is that a pilot cert is just the beginning and really it just your permission to begin the never ending learning process after that.

My long term goal is to safely get to 1000hrs. By then I might feel fairly confident in most situations.

How long's a piece of string?Not the most favourable answer for some, but really it would be up to the person, how fast they pick it up, how confident they are etc...

I've always been one not to dwell to much on the hours, otherwise it can disappoint you, or can disappoint others if they aren't picking it up as quick. Though for your sake I'll just say, for me, I went solo at 19 hours, and had my restricted RAA pilots certificate at 26, 27 hours. Then add another 10, 15 on for x country training etc... I am young, and was told I picked it up pretty fast - thanks to my country upbringing and being around machinery since I could walk.

thanks everyone and i guess your right, it is up to the instructor.

i am also young, considering i soloed on my 15th birthday haha.

im am training on a jabiru j170.

thanks.001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

munners, the comments above are great.

I would add that you need to have experienced unexpected crosswinds at various layers, unpredicted weather, wind shear, the various bad habits of the aircraft, and out of standard radio/traffic issues as part of the learning curve.

Hi Munners,

I started my training in Oct 2010 and devoted my 2 days off (Mon & Tue for me) for a couple of months to do some intensive learning. I thought I was a bit slow soloing (about 14 hours) largely because I struggled with consistent landings but after solving this and getting the requisite 5 hours solo up I did my flight test at 21 and bit hours and got my basic RAA cert. My instrustor (IMO) is particulary well organised and keeps a log of the sylabbus and the students progression through it so I had covered all the requirements prior to doing my flight test.

I am now most of the way through XC (3 dual navs done) and Passenger (3 more solo hours) endorsments but flying came to a halt for the last 6 months due to business pressures. I hope to get some time in next weekend but will do some dual revision with my FI to make sure I still "have it" before doing some more solo hours. Finishing off the XC will have to wait unfortunately.

In summary when I get the full set (Basic, XC and Passenger) I'll have about 35 hours up and it will have taken 18 months. Would have been 12 without the break.

Cheers

Chris