Site News

Admin

Hi All

As many of you will know, over the last 6+ months my health has not been the best however everything is looking great for the future now, but during this time, this psychological roller coaster ride, the site went all different directions and there was no overall application of myself managing the site and its direction. However, during this time, not knowing what the future was going to be, I formulated different scenarios and plans based on "What Ifs" for the site that could be applied once a future became clear.

In one way this was great as I was able to watch, watch and watch. What would happen to the site if it was left without a clear direction and an overall effective management, could Corrine look after it, could a management team look after it, what about a long term vision and the site's objectives that were set from day 1...a lot of these questions were answered by watching, watching and watching.

From all of this some hard decisions were made and several weeks ago were acted on based on the "What If" scenario that occurred. Take for example the "Governing Bodies" forum. That was taken away to try and start it again but this time in a manner that was right and balanced, as once before it was simply given a break for a couple of weeks and when it was brought back at the same level, it was instantly became a problem again. So this time it was cleaned, and brought back new but hidden. It wasn't used much so after a while it was time to take it another step. So it is now a normal forum again and not hidden but doesn't show up in "What's New". This has to be done slowly to find the right balance for "everyone" keeping it as an all-round resource.

So several weeks ago 2 very important things happened...one was to clean up the site and rearrange/create new forums and two, to create the Forum Section menu that is across the top of the forums. These were the first steps in being able to create for you such a vast and incredible home of recreational aviation for every single user. Unfortunately these two important changes were hard on some users but we will find the right balance again for everyone. It makes it even harder, from a management perspective, when you know that there is an even greater future here for everyone if only they knew what was coming and the overall big picture as to why some decisions are made. Unfortunately for strategic reasons I am unable to let you know, but if I could, I am sure you would understand why certain things are done. The way they are done may not always be the correct way to do it, we are all human after all, however a result for within the big picture is what is needed and I do apologise to anyone that is affected by the hard decisions that are made...but if only you could see what the site will be like and provide you in the future, today, I am sure you would understand.

The Recreational Flying site today has over 6,500 users, up to 150 users online, ranked 1.7 millionth web site in the world and over 80gig of outgoing traffic a month. Sites come and go or stagnate, diversify without proper management, but currently this site is back to having a focused management approach for all users, and development is in full swing on a clear path in providing you with so much more then any other aviation site, leading the way in being innovative and resource rich, catering to all your needs, for you and the entire recreational aviation industry.

Over the years, Recreational Flying has been creating a single repository of a huge amount of helpful information to cover all areas of your recreational aviation interests, which is much better to have in one single place then to have fragmented bits and pieces of information spread around the net, here and there on different web sites where you can miss something that is important to you. You can help every one else simply by posting everything you can right here in the forums, post anything about aircraft, flying etc, make new friends, create a happy and resourceful community in one single place...it is what you can do not only for yourself but for everyone else as well and you never know, you may be helping someone else know more about a particular aircraft, improve their flying skills from your experiences or even save a life of a fellow recreational aviator that comes here by having everything in one place so others are not missing helpful information that you can pass on.

Most of you will not have seen how much of such a great importance the Forum Section Menu, that was created several weeks ago when the site changed, really is, but as time goes by you will start to see the logic in what has been done. You will also see that the domains that are used here are; the master domain being .com, Aust is .com.au, NZ is .co.uk, US is .us etc, and they are all using this one site so no matter which domain you go to, it is all the same, just the address is different and suited to your location.

Case in point is the new Media Section. Go to it by clicking on "Media" on the main menu. Just looks like another part of the site, looks the same, feels the same etc however this section of the site is actually a completely different web site on www.recreationalflying.com. So this means we have vertical integration (.com.au, .co.nz etc) and horizontal integration with sections (media on .net).

So what does this all mean, the new media section, the forums section menu etc to the site as a whole and you as a user?

To answer this we need to know that managing a site of this size and diversity is all about managing the site's Matrix of aviation types and features (i.e. products and services). Anyone can start a site and they are easily managed when there is just a single and specific subject thus not having a matrix at all. However the Recreational Flying site Matrix is complex and is harder to manage but more important now if the site is to grow even further in a way that you will like. We have a matrix of many "Different Aviation Types and Interests" whilst having many "Different Geographic Locations".

So we need to cater for those that have interests in one or several different aviation types and also different geographic locations by giving as many users specifically what they want, need, interested in a very easy and intuitive way but the important thing is in a way that doesn't bog them down with things that they have absolutely no interest in at all.

Now as we build up the sections of the site like for example "Enthusiasts" or "General Aviation" we can then have different sections with specific resources and functionality just for them. A country person flying a Thruster may not be interested in the best parking spot at an airport to view the large jets coming in or a new airline livery but then, the odd Thruster pilot may be interested in enthusiasts content, resources and tools. Managing the matrix can now be done far easier and more specific to your needs by these new concepts that are being implemented now.

Currently if you click "Enthusiasts" on the forum Section Menu you are in an Enthusiasts specific section. When that builds up you will find that when you click Enthusiasts, you may be on a different website dedicated to Aviation Enthusiasts all together, but not know it or perhaps the logo, header and site colours will change to depict an Enthusiasts site but it still has the forum section menu that you use to go to say the Recreational Section. All the What's New, Searches etc become specific for Enthusiasts, and even the Pilot Tools Menu option becomes "Enthusiasts Tools" with a sub menu of things like aircraft tracker etc that are specific tools for enthusiasts...you simply wouldn't know anything different other then each section is extended into an even bigger resource for you. If you are not interested in enthusiasts things like Spotters, Commercial Jets etc then you are not bothered by any of it if you are in the Recreational Section.

The final dimension of all this, as is done with the Media Section already, is that say you are in the Enthusiasts section (which is now a dedicated enthusiasts site) and you click "Media" on the main menu. You are taken to the same Media site as Recreational however, it is the .net domain version of the Enthusiasts site which has the different enthusiasts logo and sub menu options for extra great media resources specifically for enthusiasts and not those that are on there for Recreational or General Aviation etc.

A quick example is I am about to go live with my wife's site on Beauty Therapy. It is pink in colour and will use the same media site as Recreational Flying when the user clicks Media on the menu but it will be pink, different news listings and a different domain but still the same physical site as media on Recreational Flying.

This makes life a lot easier for example in managing the media section of all the different aviation types (and beauty therapists 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif). This is managing the site matrix far better and delivering to you, the site user, a far more pleasant, informative, resourceful experience possible...and this is just the infrastructure of what is yet to come.

This may all sound confusing but just ask how many multi-national companies do their web sites, where they have different areas or sites for different countries or different products, this way. However they have it a lot easier but as this site is "interactive", it is far more complex but something that is needed for the site to grow, in a professional manner, in providing you with every possible opportunity that you may need or want, and in a way that you only get what you want or need and not be bothered with stuff that you have no interest in, from an aviation resource that you can call "your" home of recreational aviation.

Unfortunately for strategic reasons I can't say all the resources and great functionality that is coming but the benefits that you will get from Recreational Flying, all for free will, excuse the pun, blow you away. This is just the infrastructure for those great things that are coming here at Recreational Flying for you.

So again, I am sorry that things had to be done to create the way forward but I am sure the site/resource will find its own happy medium by you posting, creating etc an environment that you are happy to call your home, only you, the user, can create that single repository of great helpful information for everyone and please ALWAYS remember my phone number 03 9444-8025 if you have any concerns what so ever...it is better to work things out over the phone then to go off unhappy or disgruntled on anything.

Some final points...the site management team, a group of individuals who will manage the entire site, is still on the agenda. I have also de-personalised myself by changing back to Admin and focusing on site management and development. The media section will have more components added to it like Video News, Articles etc, the overall site home page is in development as well as dedicated Aircraft, Blogs, Classifieds etc sections and then we will really start adding those unique features and more for you.

Thanks for your time.

(later edited for clarity)