Cheapest and easiest way to film flights?

HeadInTheClouds

Hey there,

Thinking I might start trying to film my flying lessons and also my solo when I do it hopefully next month, mainly because it would be a good learning tool but also so I can show people what I do :)

So what I'm looking for is a small video camera that has at least 720p video and can easily be temporarily mounted somewhere with cable ties or a suction mount, or maybe even on a headset. An input to route voice from the headset would also be nice but not essential.

A GoPro is way out of my budget at the moment, I would probably be looking to spend less than $100 at the moment. Obviously not looking for the most amazing video quality, just something that will be clear and watchable.

Thanks!

I found this one before which seems to be a good deal, small enough to mount with cable ties or double sided tape and does 720p and 60fps which should be smoother than 30fps... Ill check out some reviews I think.

EDIT: Forgot the darned link: http://www.1wow.com.au/kodak-ze1-blue-playfull-pocket-hd-camcorder-ze1l-27631.html

60fps is better for flying. Things like LCDs, GPS refresh around the 25/30 fps which is fast enough for the human eye but will appear fragmented on a video. Same applies to the prop with fragmentation.

One maybe with a remote mic to sit in your headset earphone, should pick up transmissions as well as your own side tone. Note that the strobe can create noise if you are using A/C power.

Cheers 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

• Like 1

Guest pookemon

I have one of these:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__13983__Turnigy_highrate_30FPS_Ultra_small_Digital_Camera_without_memory_card_.html

Here's a sample vid of it strapped to my Spad...

It's not bad quality - does 640x480 at 30fps (IIRC). I've been meaning to take mine for a fly - but being a student pilot I tend to concentrate on other things. ;)

I'm thinking of going with the Kodak one I posted in post #3, I like the fact it has 60fps and the size of it means it would be easily mounted onto the side of my headset by cable ties. The downside is that it does not have the means to connect a microphone unless I modify it myself (Which I could do with a bit of research, I've heard of people doing it with other similar cameras) but at this stage for the money and the 60fps I think it is a good option. Seeing as it is tiny and light I think I could mount it just with blu-tac on the dash of the foxbat and the blu-tac would absorb some of the vibrations