Vampire over the Hunter region coast

Ultralights

This is my first flight in the Vampire away from the Cessnock pattern.

Todays trip, track due east from Cessnock, over Newcastle to Nobbys Head, then track coastal along Stockton beach at 500 ft to Nelson bay, then west over Lemon tree Passage, where i am currently living, then south to Stockton and return via Nobbys head, Newcastle to Cessnock.. Total time was 1.5 hrs.

Departing Cessnock, flying East at cruise altitude of 1500 Ft..

Levelling off, the Town of Kurri Kurri on the nose. and a bit to the left.

Kurri Kurri off the left wing

and the town of Maitland off the right wing, some distance away though, no problem looking for a forced landing area here!

Kooragang Islnd, coal loaders and swamps.

The Newcastle 'burbs!

The hears of Newcastle itself! still very much an Industrial town... but slowly improving...

The View the other side, Stockton beach

Low and slow along stocko beach, plenty of fisherman out....

The famous Stockton Shipwreck.

Big puddle to my right!

Lots of people camping on the beach! lot of fish being caught i presume.

The town of Anna Bay! great swimming surfing and fishing spot, and also great for snorkeling, as the next few pics will show..

Boat Harbour, my favorite snorkeling area

the spit. well, the northern side of it.

Does this headland have a splitting headache? :clown:

flying down Port Stevens looking over at Nelson Bay township.

looking straight ahead at Soldiers Point.

looking over and back at Nelson Bay!

My current residence, Lemon Tree Passage.

View over the wing.

Stockton Shipwreck again.

cruise back to Cessnock.

Airstrip at ???? wallsend!

the rest of the trip was Uneventful,

yes, i know the CHT is very high, but for some reason during the flight the CHT on that one side decided to become the earth for the beacon light, and bounced between an accurate reading and the top of the scale as the light came on and off. oh well, more niggling little issues to sort out..

all in all, i am very happy with the performance, though a little annoyed at the erroneous ASI, as you can see, a vampire cruising at 5500 RPM indicating 100 kts..... if only it were true. GPS showed cruise speed was about 75 Kts..

just hope tomorrow is as good as today! ;)

Guest danda

Thanks for that boy did that take me back caught many a good fish of Stockton beach I remember when the sigma wrecked and was broken in half everybody for Mile's around with a 4x4 where on the beach watching the salvage effort the other half was towed into nelsons bay.

I have also dumped many tons of coal at the coal loader thanks again for the trip down memory lane.

Don:clap: keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Guest David C

Fantastic report and photos ..;)... I know this area very well . What a great backyard you have !!..

David C

Enjoyed sharing your trip Rob, in fact I enjoyed most of it first hand last Friday and again this morning. My son Steve and I travelled from Cooma to Moruya on Thurs evening arriving just before last light to avoid the likely delays at Cooma due to morning fog on Friday. Many thanks to Graham (CFI) and Moruya Aero Club for on-the-spot overnight accommodation. Then departed Moruya at 0630 Friday to put down at Wallsend (as seen in your pic) for 30 mins to clean the screen, pee and stretch at 0830. Off again past Nobbys, along Stockton Beach and on to Port Macquarie for fuel and lunch before heading away again to arrive at Gold Coast airport at 1445. Also many thanks to Garry Sweetman of Sport Air Services for hnagar space at YBCG. Then all over again in reverse with my wife Gwen on Monday to Port and home today via Warnervale for fuel. Near perfect conditions both ways.

Don't you just love this recreational flying thing ;) ;) ;)?

Cheers,

Paul