What REdrive (s) should I consider?

Guest rocketdriver

Guest rocketdriver

I have an EA 81 fitted to my KR2 and have to replace the redrive. I want either a belt drive with a support bearing for the bottom pulley or a gearbox. A reduction of around 2:1 is fine. what units should I consider? does anyone know of any for sale? Any advice gratefully recieved!

cheers

RD

I have an EA 81 fitted to my KR2 and have to replace the redrive. I want either a belt drive with a support bearing for the bottom pulley or a gearbox. A reduction of around 2:1 is fine. what units should I consider? does anyone know of any for sale? Any advice gratefully recieved!cheers

RD

I am fitting an EA81 to my project. The research I did last year showed that the only option you have (in Australia anyway) is the Foxcon redrive for the Terrier. Looks like a good unit with a wide belt but hard to tell if it has a lower support bearing or not. Probably best to get on their website or give them a call. Hope this helps.

A few years back I was in Bundaberg and visited a factory making Gyros with a Sub4, a NZ-made EA-81 with their own reduction box. Very impressive and designed to handle mobs more power than a standard Subaru, but it also made the engine even heavier, which put it out of contention for my machine.

For what it's worth - I've now flown over 500 hours in the past 6 years on my EA81/Foxcon redrive combo. I chose this redrive because the engine coupled drive sprocket is supported by bearings front and rear, and the drive from the flywheel is through 8 urethane bushed pins, providing a degree of vibrational isolation between the engine and the redrive. This totally isolates the crankshaft from both side loads and axial loads. The crank only provides rotation to the drive sprocket. Because the front and rear prop shaft bearings are individually adjustable for belt tension and tracking, it is vital to get this set up properly from the outset - a bit fiddly but once done will go for 100's of hours without further adjustment. One (minor) advantage of a belt redrive is "conventional " direction of prop rotation, i.e. the same as direct drive engines.

I hope this helps with your decision!

• Like 1

Guest pookemon
For what it's worth - I've now flown over 500 hours in the past 6 years on my EA81/Foxcon redrive combo. I chose this redrive because the engine coupled drive sprocket is supported by bearings front and rear, and the drive from the flywheel is through 8 urethane bushed pins, providing a degree of vibrational isolation between the engine and the redrive. This totally isolates the crankshaft from both side loads and axial loads. The crank only provides rotation to the drive sprocket. Because the front and rear prop shaft bearings are individually adjustable for belt tension and tracking, it is vital to get this set up properly from the outset - a bit fiddly but once done will go for 100's of hours without further adjustment. One (minor) advantage of a belt redrive is "conventional " direction of prop rotation, i.e. the same as direct drive engines.I hope this helps with your decision!

Good info John. Any idea what the installed weight of this setup is?