Planning First Big Trip... YCAB to Yepoon..

redozbris

Howdy All,

Just wondering I am planning a trip from Caboolture to Yeppoon in the coming months, I'm aware of the airspaces on the way up, just wondering if anyone has done a trip in recent moons, and would like to have a chat.. any first hand knowledge would be appreciated.. trip planned for april, will hopefully be over easter, landing at mayborough, bundaberg (for a top up of fuel)... I'm planning on landing at Emu Park or Hedlow Airfield for Landfall and to park overnight stay a day, then perhaps a run around the area the next day then back to brisbane on the third day...

All help is welcomed, I will be invading other peoples airspace, so watch out :)

ReD

Guest Maj Millard

Red, Not sure of the current status of Hedlow Field, used to be a great airfield and place to stop, hopefully somebody with more local knowledge will offer more info there.

Emu Park.....great choice, grass strip runs parallel with beach and easy walking distance to all amenities including beachside Caravan /campsite. Nice to walk the nearby beach in the moonlight or even do a spot of line wetting.

This area of coast (Capricorn Coast) by the way offers some of the most senic flying I've done, so do plan to fly the area a bit just to enjoy the view. Up the beach to the North is great and I believe one of our forumites has a strip up that way some where. You may wish to have a look at JGs interesting airstrips near pubs site, for more info on Emu Park............................................Enjoy your trip !..............................................Ross

Emu Park is a good strip and if you phone the pub they will come and get you, so you can have a meal there.

Hedlow was closed for quite a long while, but i was tol only a few days ago that it is under new ownership and you may be welcome.

I am not sure of the current status of Mill Iron about 5 miles SW of Emu Park, there was a problem with the council, but that may have been fixed by now.

Gladstone on the way is open for fuel, but you need an ASIC and if you leave the airside you have to get the operators to open the gate for you to return. Rodds Bay 15miles SE of Gladstone is my local strip, active on a Sunday. PM me or phone 0749750209 if you need info about the strip.

The trip from Bundy up the coast to Gladstone is very picturesque, with aeroplane beach, just below Bustard Head lighthouse.

Howdy All,Just wondering I am planning a trip from Caboolture to Yeppoon in the coming months, I'm aware of the airspaces on the way up, just wondering if anyone has done a trip in recent moons, and would like to have a chat.. any first hand knowledge would be appreciated.. trip planned for april, will hopefully be over easter, landing at mayborough, bundaberg (for a top up of fuel)... I'm planning on landing at Emu Park or Hedlow Airfield for Landfall and to park overnight stay a day, then perhaps a run around the area the next day then back to brisbane on the third day...

All help is welcomed, I will be invading other peoples airspace, so watch out :)

ReD

hi , if you go to the link http://www.cessna182.org.au/newsletters.htm and open the file autum11 issue one and read down you will get the information for an airfield near keeple sands , the contact details of the guy who owns the place is on there as well , i think its the same airstrip that yenn quoted , I have spoken to him and he was telling me the airstrip is very close to being open to the public with fuel supplies etc

Flew over Headlow on 16th November and it had White Xs on both strips [unserviceable or don't want visitors & has been this way for some time]

Gladstone - has a phone number on the gate to ring and get the current code to re-enter airside. Shell fuel with credit card access, but you need ASIC and radio as airport is "CERT".

Hope this helps.

Frank

Tomo : Planning on using a Flight Design CTSW.. More than enough range if I loose 40 or so kgs ;) or my loving wife doesnt take to many clothes... I mean we'll be away for 4 days.. how much do you really need to take *ducks* but Planning on Dropping in at Maryborough/Bundaberg/Gladstone/Childers and anything else I can find on the way up.. Looking forward to a 'Big Runway Landing' Flare, land on the numbers, then taxi for 5 minutes to the first taxiway ;)

Frank : I've had the same problem I cant seem to raise the people at Hedlow.. so it seems like emu park.. just a little worried about parking the ct outside overnight.. would prefer a hanger or something out of the elements.. but you cant win them all.. throttle lock, door lock and tie downs....

Hendon : Thanks, having a read now!

Guest Howard Hughes
Looking forward to a 'Big Runway Landing' Flare, land on the numbers, then taxi for 5 minutes to the first taxiway ;)

What's wrong with landing on the 'Touchdown zone'? Cuts a couple of minutes off the taxi...022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

if you want to land at hedlow and you want to contact sombody first the contact number is , 0417767454 and if you wanted anything else their web address is http://www.hedloweairservices.com.au/ the operations manger last week told me that a level 2 mechanic has also set shop , the pilot for mig adventures was in get his vehicle serviced last tuesday , they are considering moving their operation to hedlow in the near future

Guest Maj Millard

Good to hear Hedlow is back !!....I've used it several times in the past, as it was a great spot to overnight before going down to the old Station Fly-in.

I'll share one memorable adventure I had at Hedlow. I was arriving in the Drifter from Tarturus Station from the West, after following the Fitzroy River all the way. There were a few clouds around as we neared the coast, and one dumping a solid column of water right on Hedlow field !.. Fuel was no dramas, so I decided to just hang back until the wet cloud moved. 20 minutes later, and the damn thing hadn't moved an inch...just parked dropping solid rain on Hedlow!. :bad_mood:I'd been flying all day and this was the last leg. I could see about 100mts of the main active sticking out in the clear, and knew from the previous year that it was only about another 150 mts to an open ended hangar, that I had used then.

I landed on the bit of strip in the open, in sunny no rain conditions, and then taxied the remainder in torrential rain, plane and crew getting soaked in the process !!.......and taxied straight into the (thankfully) vacant dry hangar !....

A gentleman who didn't know about the portion of strip in the clear, came over and proceeded to suitably chatise me about flying around in such foul weather..094_busted.gif.ae638bd7cbc787b7b31a16c9b8b3a6b4.gif.until I explained the situation. As always we had a good stay at Hedlow.....026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif.......................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

You can try ringing at Gladstone, but they will not divulge the number to the local pilots with ASIC cards so I doubt you will have any success. They will come and open the gate.

They used to be GA friedly, but George Creed who was our mayor died and we don't have any friends there now. Another place you may like to visit is Old Station, which George used to run. they have accomodation and a good long strip.