My turn for a good news story

Old Koreelah

Last year I had the chance to travel interstate for a family gathering.

Getting all the siblings together had been a rare achievement, but the long drive put me off- long hours sitting in a car causes back problems. I fluked some good weather and chose to fly instead, but was worried about leaving my little beast unattended at a strange airfield.

A phone call to their Aero Club solved the problem. Despite being a complete stranger, I was offered the use of a hanger overnight, and told where to find the key. I had the thrill of flying my little plane to the venue, cutting travel time to a third. My plane was tucked away safe and sound while we had a great family re-union.

I had a great flight each way and even received a phone call from my unseen hosts when I got home.

Thanks Graham, a wonderful gesture to a fellow flyer.

• Like 1

There's lots of good friends out there. We just haven't met them all yet :-)

Hear hear, David... So please tell me Lyle, when you go visiting Kin in Woodenbong, where do you park the little beast? I looked and looked, but danged if I could find an ALA within a bull's roar of the place.

Hear hear, David... So please tell me Lyle, when you go visiting Kin in Woodenbong, where do you park the little beast? I looked and looked, but danged if I could find an ALA within a bull's roar of the place.

There are some flat paddocks a mile west of town, used by GA craft occasionally over the years, especially when I was a pup in the 1950's. Although I've not seen an aircraft there, my dad saw a Tiger Moth there once. It had been upended by the wind; a few blokes just turned it over again and its was flown away. I have postponed flying to Woody until I greatly improve my short field performance: there is a lot of yowie country around there!

If we're going to define yowie country as being a rung or so up the scale from tiger country, then yep, there's some yowie country around Woodenbong. I would have thought though, that the Jodel would have excellent STOL capabilities, and if a Tigermoth can get in and out, I would have thought a Jodel would have no problems. However, having said that, if you're not comfortable taking it into somewhere. Don't ! I don't care what the heroes say... Rough country STOL flying is not something to be nonchalant about.

Woodenbong is just down the road from Boonah.I have flown around there heaps of times.Also done dirt bike riding out of there (and Kyogle).Nice part of Australia.

Hello dazza, you're right. I long ago predicted that Woody might one day be Brisbane's Katoomba, but the atrocious roads preclude that.

As Wayne said, It sure is Yowie country, but I dream of one day being able to fly among the peaks and visit Boonah. Most Jodels have good STOL qualities, but I added so many improvements to mine that the weight increase has made short landings a little difficult.

Regards,

Lyle

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

Just mentioned the name 'Woodenbong' to the missus (she's ex-LA)...her reply was "Is that an aboriginal name ?"...008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif....................Maj...

Just mentioned the name 'Woodenbong' to the missus (she's ex-LA)...her reply was "Is that an aboriginal name ?"...008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif....................Maj...

Yep, MM, it's a white-fella bastardisation of a name used by the local Kithabal people in the their Banjalung language.