This is why I want an IFR rating one day...

HeadInTheClouds

I think it would be great to be able to fly through cloud into the sunny blue skies above... And also to go cloud surfing 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

But until then, youtube will suffice...

(Disclaimer: I am not suggesting that flying into or near cloud under VFR is a 'fun' or wise thing to do at all, in fact it is more or less suicidal)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbRTLLLhPCM

Interesting. Did you notice how the first one came out of the clouds with a bit of a bank? Assuming s/he wasn't turning intentionally then is that level of 'error' normal when flying on instruments?

Interesting. Did you notice how the first one came out of the clouds with a bit of a bank? Assuming s/he wasn't turning intentionally then is that level of 'error' normal when flying on instruments?

I noticed that too, maybe it was intentional but maybe not. Perhaps someone with IFR experience could explain....

Guest davidh10

It is hard to tell whether it is just slope on the local cloud surface as the aircraft emerges or the aircraft is actually banking, but I suspect the former, if you move through the frames slowly and look at the cloud surface texture.

The point is that as the aircraft emerges from the cloud, what you may mistake for a horizon may actually just be a local slope on part of the cloud. It isn't until well clear of the cloud that you can consider the distant boundary between sky and cloud that is a flat line to be a horizon.

The only way to tell positively would be to see the instruments.

I've done quite a few hours watching in the right seat with friends in IFR - cloud - and punching through and or coming out of cloud with wisps and bits of blue here and there around it really feels like you're turning or doing something, but a look at the instruments shows you're dead level and tracking true.

• Like 1

The prop speed won't change with airspeed change. It just coarsens off a bit as the speed increases. ( CS propeller)

Its really unlikely that a 'normal" flight under IFR conditions will have an Oh s**t moment as you emerg from cloud. Lenticular clouds can have a lot of "slope" on the top surface also, by the way they form.

Most climbs/ descents are done with some limits on the delay in leaving a level after a clearance is given and a minimum rate is part of the procedure.

You can get cruise climb clearances sometimes but there needs to be more airspace available for that, so are probably rare. Most turbine aircraft operate at the most economical level considering altitude and wind component and airspace availability.

Flight in controlled airspace is not particularly interesting. You have tracking tolerances and strict adherence to a "cleared height" and the need to update ETA's. calculate diversion/alternate/ holding requirements and look at things like equitime points, PNR's base on engine out or depressurised flight so the idea of flitting around clouds with a plane full of unimpressed passemgers is a bit fanciful. Nev