Basic Rules - A Poor Understanding

Guest davidh10

How do you change the active runway. I have seen at a busy strip aircraft continuing to use a downwind take off when there has been a 180deg wind change. When everyone is taxiing for 28 there may be several on the taxi way and if you call that you are going to use 06 because of the wind change, it takes a lot of sorting out. Don't say it won't happen, because I have seen it.

It does take a lot of sorting out, but legally you are required to land into wind, and the sorting out is less dangerous than continuing downwind operations for two reasons:

1. There's a chance of an overrun or similar accident for the unwary

2. You stand a chance of a head on where someone is doing the right thing.

Ok, a bit of a story from me with "Which runway", radio calls, and "NOT doing what others are doing".

Years ago I was flying at Cobden. Main runway 18/36 and there was a fly in.

I had taken off and flown down and done an early morning flight along the coast.

Dropped in to Warnembool (Spelling?) to get some fuel and the wind was not on any strip.

I flew back to Cobden and the wind was 270 at about 30kts. I was in a Jab LSA. All the planes were using 18. It was not going to be nice but I could handle it at a push.

Then someone said there was an East/West runway at the Northern end - though it was grass and SHORT!

Also there were power lines near the threashold.

I decided to use that instead and so made the call. Extended downwind to allow the couple of planes on final to land and the other planes to open a whole for me to land.

I turned base then final. Frantically scanning for the power lines - luckily they had the big plastic balls on the, so they weren't too hard to find.

The wind gusting didn't help or make it easy, so flaps were kept in.

I cleared the power lines and started to descend more, ready for the runway, but then saw a fence between this paddock and the actual runway. A slight pull back on the stick facilitated a slight jump/bump/climb over the fence and the plane landed without a problem, and somewhat quickly because of the head wind.

A few of the people had come up to watch this "silly person" use the other runway.

They were quite impressed, though, with my landing and how I had actually gone against the others and used the "better" runway.

• 2 weeks later...

In Wagga they often hold chopper training and you must do rh circirts on 23 for up to a month, but it is always in notams and can be good for practice in case of a forced landing whers yo don't get a choice of left or right.