Anybody wanna buy an old airplane?

Riley

AVWeb News

'Pickled Squadron of Spitfires found in Burma' or "Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus"!!!

More than 40 years ago whilst living & working in Singapore, via an expatriate British member of the vintage car register, I was told of the supposed existence of 6 (??) intact and crated Spitfires that were left laying in a godown (warehouse) somewhere in/around Rangoon after the war ended. On two other occasions since then in other parts of the world I've heard similar versions of the fairy tale repeated and thought 'wouldn't it be lovely - but it's obviously a Furphy'. I know a lot of people, like myself, wrote it off as a fanciful urban myth however, now we have it (or at least posterity has it)! What a coup for the persistant David Cundall and for aviation enthusiasts worldwide. Now, anybody got a lead on a couple of Lancs hiding in a backyard shed???

I've got a few I can sell you, Riley. Please refer to attached photo:roflmao: Seriously though, what a crying shame that all those pictured, were cut up for scrap! Picture Oakey circa 1948.

1275569361_Spitsatoakey1.jpg.26a4e3b2ddb7015f3faf172e2b7d5c3e.jpg

There are a couple of these US Leftovers in Australia. When the war ended it was too expensive to take all of these back so a lot of stuff was just buried. I actually have the location of two of these types of cache's in qld from when my Grandparents were involved in it all and they would appear to still be there... Well I haven't seen evidence of the land being disturbed. One day I will be able to buy the property ;)

There are a couple of these US Leftovers in Australia. When the war ended it was too expensive to take all of these back so a lot of stuff was just buried. I actually have the location of two of these types of cache's in qld from when my Grandparents were involved in it all and they would appear to still be there... Well I haven't seen evidence of the land being disturbed. One day I will be able to buy the property ;)

Ve have vays of making you talk:compress: hurry_up.gif.177b070ad0fed9378055f023fbf484f7.gif gagged.gif.60d96579bce4672c685d482e13fb64dd.gifthrow_tomato.gif.8a27f69a28c208ea05bc7ad066007de8.gifstretcher.gif.b5405e56385022b0c281bce09d6ac829.gif

Actually most we dumped off the continental shelf there was a stack load off Moreton Island....it was to do with the lend lease agreement.

I have a friend who has been chasing this stuff here in Australia and he swears he has seen 6 catalinas himself in a underground bunker in north queensland. They fought in the courts for quite a while to get access to them but as soon as they "come out" the government has full rights no one else and they will more than likely be destroyed. The court case didn't continue due to running out of money..the government has plenty my friend and his others involved ran out of money and were advised that it was useless to continue. I haven't spoken to him in a few years so might give him a ring and get a update

Actually most we dumped off the continental shelf there was a stack load off Moreton Island....it was to do with the lend lease agreement.I have a friend who has been chasing this stuff here in Australia and he swears he has seen 6 catalinas himself in a underground bunker in north queensland. They fought in the courts for quite a while to get access to them but as soon as they "come out" the government has full rights no one else and they will more than likely be destroyed. The court case didn't continue due to running out of money..the government has plenty my friend and his others involved ran out of money and were advised that it was useless to continue. I haven't spoken to him in a few years so might give him a ring and get a update

Very interesting KC. Back in the early '80s I rebuilt a 1950's Fargo 1/2 ton pick up using some 'new' mechanical bits that had been written off by DND and buried in a bombing range north of Perth many years previously. Somebody knew somebody who knew something & eventually a couple of geezers made a project out of it and, in the dark of a number of nights, salvaged 3 large trailer loads of perfect parts still wrapped in cosmolene & greases paper. Forbidden fruit always seems to taste better so keep us informed if there is a sequel to your mate's story. cheers