Over Before I Start

Compulsion

Check the seat loading. You might find 110 kilos is a max for some aircraft (Jabiru). The J170 is nice and wide and the throttle is where a throttle should be. The Adelaide Soaring Club at Gawler have three Jabiru J170 aircraft for learning in.

Flew with James from RPA Murray Bridge today. I flew the 160 and loved it. I felt very comfortable and could even use the throttle. I did circuits doing touch and go and glide landings. I wont say I did any good landings but I didn't bend the aircraft. James is a great instructor and all round nice guy. I am so glad I can keep flying with RPA. I am looking forward to trying a 170 one of these days but very happy to fly the 160 for a long time yet. I can end this thread now and start another one.

• Like 1

Well done John persistance always pays off and that has resulted in a good choice of aircraft and Instructor. Things can only go up and up from here.107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gifAlan.

Thanks Allan. Gliders and powered aircraft are very different beasts. I miss my airbrakes on the glider.

Thanks Allan. Gliders and powered aircraft are very different beasts. I miss my airbrakes on the glider.

Great news John!

They certainly are, and it would be hard going from gliders to powered aircraft I reckon, gliders are that much more of an aeroplane! By that I mean, glide ratio... me coming into gliders found it hard to get the hang of the amazing glide range at first (probably not a bad thing!) but it was just so different. Airbrakes are magic indeed, can nail it exactly where you want it!

Ok maybe I should change this thread but can anyone put me on the right track? I have never flown seated side by side always front and back in gliders. Today when landing I was always landing the aircraft offline due to my thinking I was flying straight. When I got it right it looked to me that I was about 30 to 40 degs to the right. How do you sight on final to get the angle correct.

Guest Andys@coffs

Getting "The Picture" right is to me, a function of getting a type endorsement, or learning from scratch in a particular aircraft. Every aircraft has its own picture that you need to get used to and its for this reason, among others that you shouldnt be in a different aircraft type every lesson...... You'll find it'll come to you with practise. Im pretty sure that the picture would have been different in different types of gliders...same thing

Andy

Ok maybe I should change this thread but can anyone put me on the right track? I have never flown seated side by side always front and back in gliders. Today when landing I was always landing the aircraft offline due to my thinking I was flying straight. When I got it right it looked to me that I was about 30 to 40 degs to the right. How do you sight on final to get the angle correct.

John, it may be that you are sighting over the spinner instead of a point well to the left of the spinner when you touch down. I know people who have had a similar problem flying from the rh seat. Bob

• Like 1

Everybody does it to a certain extent. you will get used to it, but the more you work at adjusting for it the quicker you will get a good result. Just imagine what you would have to put up with flying a twin mustang. Nev..