North Queensland Board rep.......................

Guest Maj Millard

There is a difference between a "monopoly" A single structure with no other choice (path) available and a representative overlay which RESPONDS to the various concerns/ views of the sub groups who belong to it.. They get a voice. "Majority carries the day" doesn't work here because if you are in the minority you CAN be ignored, and that is often the situation.

The rights of individuals is still able to be a casualty in a simple democracy. It must have well defined AIMS and POLICY. that keep the show on the straight and narrow, and stop it being hijacked by self interested sections, who can "stack" an organisation. Nev

There is a difference between a "monopoly" A single structure with no other choice (path) available and a representative overlay which RESPONDS to the various concerns/ views of the sub groups who belong to it.. They get a voice. "Majority carries the day" doesn't work here because if you are in the minority you CAN be ignored, and that is often the situation.The rights of individuals is still able to be a casualty in a simple democracy. It must have well defined AIMS and POLICY. that keep the show on the straight and narrow, and stop it being hijacked by self interested sections, who can "stack" an organisation. Nev

Hi Ian and Nev

I am not suggesting that one organisation can or should do everything. But I think we suffer badly through the lack of a single umbrella group to speak on the big issues --- loss of airfields, availability of suitable fuels, access to airspace, security costs, licensing to name a few.

RAAus is now the biggest fish in the ocean based on membership from what I can gather but, like each of the other groups such as SAAA, it has a specific focus. I belong to both groups but I also maintain my membership of AOPA which has a general view of aviation activities and, to my mind, is best able to put broad aviation issues to Canberra.

Ten thousand members can achieve more than 3000. But twenty thousand will probably do better still provided every one of them makes time to make their views known to the decision-makers.

Kaz

• Like 1