Anyone interested in ferrying a Jabiru J170-C?

Good story Eric.. Enjoy your new toy... How did it stall?..Did you do any stalling in it?

I have not flown it yet and I have not done any stall training in the Jabiru, so I don't any first hand experience with stalls. The pilot did not attempt any stalls during the ferry flight. I need to get instruction from my instructor at Goulburn and I am not due for a lesson for another 2 weeks for various reasons. I am told by the pilot Daniel who flew it that during the check flight at Coominya, the CFI John demonstrated 2 different stall characteristics. The first is with no power where it stalls level, i.e. no wing drop. The second is with some power applied where the left wing drops pretty quickly, apparently caused by the prop wash. I do recall from my familiarisation flight late last year at Coominya with John during a left hand climbing turn stall that the wing dropped very quickly (my first stall experience in an aircraft which was a little scary). This concerns me obviously and I need to investigate the stall characterisics further with my CFI. I am not sure what can be done about it. I am used to the Gazelle which is so tame in a "stall", it just mushes and loses height. Is this typical for a Jabiru?

Nothing you won't be able to handle if you are taught properly. ( and you will be). Wing drops are a bit scary at first. Power on stalls are more reactive in most aircraft. Nev

Guest Andys@coffs

Indeed its as Nev says, and if you think that the gazelle is tame then thats just because the instructor hasnt put it into a situation where it isnt. Almost without fail every aircraft can have aset of specific circumstances which will produce a stall that can bite you. as long as that is remembered you'll do Ok.

Power on stalls with flaps deployed can also be fairly abrupt when they happen.....

Andy

Hi Eric. The 170 is probably the most unpredictable in the stall of all the (later) Jabiru's. That being said it is nothing to fear, just be aware of, which you will be after some training. Climbing turn stalls are normally quite benign as the outside wing stalls first which results in the aeroplane leveling out of the turn.

Reading your blog I did notice there was quite minimal stalling practice before you went solo. I guess we would all like to see you confident in this area.

Here's a video filmed inside the cockpit of some stalling in a 170, just fast forward a bit if its boring at the beginning.

cheers

• Like 1

Solomon's laughter and obvious enjoyment always bring a smile to my face. Good to see him enjoying it and now that he has his Cert. Will be following with pleasure.