First recreational flight

Just had my first rec flight today after a bit over 50 hours this year of a GA C150... and it was great!

Conditions were moderate winds with a few gusts, initially straight down the strip but later developing a moderate crosswind component. Otherwise fine and dandy. After preflight and runup checks we took off and climbed out to 5,500ft (2,500ft AGL).

Initial impressions were of very light control, and overall 'minimalism' - a real flyers craft. When compared to the C150 I've been flying the CA25 Gazelle was a rocketship; 500~600fpm with 2 aboard and effortless acceleration up to cruise speed.

I was taken for the flight by a local instructor (also good mate) and we did some stalls, simulated engine failures and forced landings. Stalls were more or less non evident, with a slight mush down and judder of the flightstick. Gliding was very relaxed and it seemed to take forever to want to go down, a really nice experience that I was happy to sit back and enjoy.

Once back at the field I had a landing demonstrated for me and then I tried a few myself. The first one was alright but not particularly smooth, and the second and third were much better. The third was a simulated engine failure in circuit so I had a glide approach onto the runway and had a chance to use a sideslip, in lieu of the flaps I've become accustomed to on the C150. Loved every second of it!

The goal at the moment (with CASA's impending doubling of required hours for GA Instructor rating) is to get my RA-Aus Instructor ticket and help offset the cost of my flying while also doing the 200 hour CPL course. Eventually I'd like to own my own Rec aircraft, possibly self-built along the lines of the Leeon Davis DA-11.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my first RA-Aus flight.

Cheers - boingk

• Like 4

Cheers guys, thanks!

Haven't done much more flying this week but did go to Maruya and back in the Cessna... had to avoid a few jumpers down there but other than that it was a nice, cruisey, uneventful trip.

I'd also highly recommend my new headset to any in the market; the Rugged Air RA900. It has a full flex boom, stereo sound, dual volume adjustment, stainless frame, comfy (gel?) pads, 3.5mm jack in and push to talk button. Very comfortable to wear for long periods and the jack means you can listen to music as well... lovely for cross country.

Cheers again - boingk